[Vision2020] real economic development in Moscow

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 10:00:47 PDT 2007

What?  Pickles have sugar?!!

Sue Hovey <suehovey at moscow.com> wrote:     Donovan,

 Certainly your grandfather Lee was right on the  mark with his statement about Moscow and everyone knowing who one is and who one  is.....

 And you are probably right on the mark about the  bath pillow, so I'm taking your word for it, but I will respond to one of your  statements because it is very important to me.

 You mentioned having children with disabilities and  Moscow not offering what they need.  Well as you probably know, I can speak  to that one in spades.  One of the reasons we have never considered living  anywhere else is because of our daughter, who grew up here knowing almost  everyone, was and is cared for and protected by the citizens of this  city.

 She was one of the first to go through the Moscow  Schools under the provisions of the Idaho Law for special education, which  predated the federal law by a few years.  It wasn't always easy for her or  the school district as she moved from elementary school through the high  school,  but I feel the special education program which now begins with  preschool and continues through age 21 could legitimately be named for  her. One of the reasons I am so angry with Gerry Weitz and his lackeys is  because we, too, fought with the school district through those times, and  even threatened to involve state and federal officials, but never, ever would we  have done anything to harm the other students.  And the program that was a  result of our (and Leslie's) struggle continues to benefit those who are  enrolled.

 She continues to thrive here. She has been an employee at Rosauers for about a decade--a  place where she feels valued.  When she messes up her computer, the  fellows at VGH fix it for her, and laugh about the fact that at least she  doesn't download porn.  She loves Vandal basketball and attends the home  games with Judy and Tom Morris.  She gets good medical care right here  in Moscow.  Her service providers who work through the Department of  Health and Welfare and the University of Idaho know her as a person and not a  case number.

 Leslie is representative of a large group of  people with disabilities who have chosen to live in Moscow because they like  living here and the other residents welcome them.  And  that's despite the fact that in almost any other state the funding  is better for people with special needs than it is in  Idaho.

 And Spokane isn't a big city.  Hummmmm.   I guess big is a relative term.  It continues to be the second largest  city in Washington State, and in a comparison with Moscow--well  I won't give you that point, but the bath pillow, it's yours.

 Sue H.