[Vision2020] Tuesday's Candidate forum

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 24 14:57:36 PDT 2007

Just my two cents worth, but if you really want to change perception -why keep perpetuating it by repeating a mantra?  The only GMA ads I have seen say something to the effect that "Moscow is anti-growth" and these ads have the photos of all three endorsed candidates on them.  Last night I heard the words "smart growth" come out of Mr. Krauss' mouth like he embraces the ideal -and great if he does.  But at the same forum he says the current council practices selective growth.  Is there a difference?  On the business side, isn't the principle of smart growth that you decide what fits for the community and where and then select the types of business that fit in those areas?  If I'm wrong, someone please explain, because maybe I am not understanding this principle.  Honestly, I am very glad Moscow no longer has 20+ gas stations on main street!

   Growth issue takes over forum Incumbents defend stance on Moscow's  growth
 By David Johnson of the Tribune
 Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 MOSCOW - The seven candidates for four council seats  weighed in Tuesday night on what many consider a central issue leading up to the  Nov. 6 election - that the current city council is inhibiting economic  growth.
 Speaking at a candidates forum to an audience of about  120 people, all three incumbents dismissed the notion, while three challengers  said the claim had a measure of merit. Another challenger said the anti-growth  perception really didn't matter because the economy continues to grow.
 "Moscow is not anti-growth or no growth," Aaron Ament  said. "It's unfortunate that some among us keep saying that because it does hurt  our community."
 "I don't believe that the Moscow city council is  anti-growth," Tom Lamar said, "and I actually think it's irresponsible to accuse  the city that way."
 "I think what you need to do is take a look at what this  council has done," Linda Pall said. "This council has embraced the new cities  initiative. ... We're not here to say, 'You all come.' We're here to say, 'Come  take a look at Moscow, and if the fit is right, if your business and our values  match up, we are happy to have you.' "
 Ament, Lamar and Pall are incumbents running for the  three four-year seats. All have been endorsed by the Moscow Civic  Association.
 "I don't necessarily feel the current council is  no-growth or anti-growth," Wayne Krauss said. "I think they're (practicing)  selective growth. They decide what kind of growth they want to allow."
 "The current council says they're not anti-growth," Dan  Carscallen said, "but the perception is there. Changing the perception is the  thing that needs to happen."
 "Moscow has been perceived as anti-business and  anti-growth long before this particular city council," Walter Steed said. "I'm  not sure why. I don't think we've done anything lately to change it or make  ourselves look like we do welcome businesses."
 Krauss and Carscallen are challenging for the four-year  positions. Steed is seeking a two-year seat. All three are endorsed by the  Greater Moscow Alliance.
 Challenger Evan Holmes, who's running against Steed and  isn't endorsed by either of the politically active citizens groups, took more of  a middle-ground stance. "Well, if the city council for the last five years has  been trying to stop growth they've failed miserably." He cited statistics  showing that the town's economy continues to grow. "So like I say, the no-growth  thing doesn't bear analysis," Holmes said.
 The campaign continues to be fueled by the MCA and GMA,  the former being credited with supporting winning candidates in the previous  election and the latter organized last year in response. Mayor Nancy Chaney was  endorsed two years ago by the left-leaning MCA, and her opponent, former council  member Peg Hamlett, said afterwards that the MCA's campaign efforts were too  much to surmount. The right-leaning GMA figures to lend some balance to the  campaign. Both groups are encouraging a big turnout at the polls.
 The candidates seem to have tapped into the momentum.  Most have active Web sites, all are placing signs around town, most say they're  going door-to-door to talk with people and the invitations to speak at forums  and do interviews with the press continue to take up their time.
 Tuesday night's forum, held in the Moscow High School  Auditorium, was cosponsored by the Moscow League of Women Voters and the  Moscow/Pullman Daily News.
 ---
 Johnson may be contacted at  deveryone at potlatch.com or (208)  883-0564.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com