[Vision2020] "Science" Journal: Evidence For Consensus Re: Global

pkraut at moscow.com pkraut at moscow.com
Sat Oct 20 16:43:10 PDT 2007

And those who opposed this paper or disagreed are just idiots who do not
know real science?? You are proving my point for me!

<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref1>).
<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref2>).
> Such statements suggest that there might be substantive disagreement in
the
> scientific community about the reality of anthropogenic climate change.
This
> is not the case.
>
> The scientific consensus is clearly expressed in the reports of the
> Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). Created in 1988 by the
> World Meteorological Organization and the United Nations Environmental
> Programme, IPCC's purpose is to evaluate the state of climate science as
> basis for informed policy action, primarily on the basis of peer-reviewed
> and published scientific literature (
> 3<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref3>).
> In its most recent assessment, IPCC states unequivocally that the
consensus
> of scientific opinion is that Earth's climate is being affected by human
> activities: "Human activities ... are modifying the concentration of
> atmospheric constituents ... that absorb or scatter radiant energy. ...
> [M]ost of the observed warming over the last 50 years is likely to have
been
> due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations" [p. 21 in
> (4<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref4>)].
>

> IPCC is not alone in its conclusions. In recent years, all major
scientific
> bodies in the United States whose members' expertise bears directly on
the
> matter have issued similar statements. For example, the National Academy
of
> Sciences report, *Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key
Questions*,
> begins: "Greenhouse gases are accumulating in Earth's atmosphere as a
result
> of human activities, causing surface air temperatures and subsurface
ocean
> temperatures to rise" [p. 1 in (
> 5<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref5>)].
> The report explicitly asks whether the IPCC assessment is a fair summary
of
> professional scientific thinking, and answers yes: "The IPCC's conclusion
> that most of the observed warming of the last 50 years is likely to have
> been due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations accurately
> reflects the current thinking of the scientific community on this issue"
[p.
> 3 in ( 5
<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref5>)].

> Others agree. The American Meteorological Society
> (6<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref6>),
> the American Geophysical Union (
> 7<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref7>),
> and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) all
have
> issued statements in recent years concluding that the evidence for human
> modification of climate is compelling (
> 8<http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5702/1686#ref8>).
>

> The drafting of such reports and statements involves many opportunities
for
> comment, criticism, and revision, and it is not likely that they would
> diverge greatly from the opinions of the societies' members.
Nevertheless,
> [...]
natural.
> However, none of these papers argued that point.
>
> This analysis shows that scientists publishing in the peer-reviewed
> literature agree with IPCC, the National Academy of Sciences, and the
public
> statements of their professional societies. Politicians, economists,
> journalists, and others may have the impression of confusion,
disagreement,
> or discord among climate scientists, but that impression is incorrect.
>
> The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of
> science teaches anything, it is humility, and no one can be faulted for
> failing to act on what is not known. But our grandchildren will surely
blame
> us if they find that we understood the reality of anthropogenic climate
> change and failed to do anything about it.
>
> Many details about climate interactions are not well understood, and
there
> are ample grounds for continued research to provide a better basis for
> understanding climate dynamics. The question of what to do about climate
> change is also still open. But there is **a scientific consensus on the
> reality of anthropogenic climate change. Climate scientists have
repeatedly
> tried to make this clear. It is time for the rest of us to listen.
>
> *References and Notes*
>
>    1. A. C. Revkin, K. Q. Seelye, *New York Times*, 19 June 2003, A1.
>    2. S. van den Hove, M. Le Menestrel, H.-C. de Bettignies, *Climate
>    Policy **2* (1), 3 (2003).
>    3. See www.ipcc.ch/about/about.htm.
>    4. J. J. McCarthy *et al.*, Eds., *Climate Change 2001: Impacts,
>    Adaptation, and Vulnerability* (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge,
>    2001).
>    5. National Academy of Sciences Committee on the Science of Climate
>    Change, *Climate Change Science: An Analysis of Some Key
> Questions*(National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 2001).
>    6. American Meteorological Society, *Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. **84*,
>    508 (2003).
>    7. American Geophysical Union, *Eos **84 *(51), 574 (2003).
>    8. See www.ourplanet.com/aaas/pages/atmos02.html.
>    9. The first year for which the database consistently published
>    abstracts was 1993. Some abstracts were deleted from our analysis
because,
>    although the authors had put "climate change" in their key words, the
paper
>    was not about climate change.
>    10. This essay is excerpted from the 2004 George Sarton Memorial
>    Lecture, "Consensus in science: How do we know we're not wrong,"
presented
>    at the AAAS meeting on 13 February 2004. I am grateful to AAAS and the
>    History of Science Society for their support of this lectureship; to
my
>    research assistants S. Luis and G. Law; and to D. C. Agnew, K.
Belitz, J. R.