[Vision2020] Water Concern?

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 19 06:45:37 PDT 2007

Jeff,

My post was a direct cut-and-paste from the article, including the
last line stating that the candidates were supported by the GMA. I
didn’t add anything; it was a clip from a NEWS article.

The point was that the three GMA candidates do not seem to be well
informed when it comes to water issues. I don’t see how asking that
candidates be informed about important issues like WATER is using a
political “tactic” or intended to foster “fear, intimidation,
heckling and smearing.” I just quoted them. Their lack of knowledge
about the local water issues, the fact that they couldn’t find
anything more intelligent to say about it during a DEBATE is not my
fault; it is their fault.

I agree with you that we should let scientists do the talking but if
you can find one local scientist that will back up the views
expressed by the GMA candidates, I’ll buy you lunch. There is a
universal consensus that we’re running out of water and the only
issue of debate is how long before we run dry. MCA candidates and
Holmes are aware of this; the GMA candidates are not.

Krauss claimed that “we don’t have a water emergency.” No local
scientist that I know is willing to state that. At best we just
don’t know how much water we have. Unfortunately, ignorance is
not always bliss. Carscallen just mimics the same
set of lies that you put forth, pretending that a genuine problem is
something made up in order to prevent development. Steed’s comment
is indicative of the ‘head-in-the-sand’ attitude noted above.

The difference between us is not the lie that you’re spreading: you
are pro-growth and I am anti-growth. The difference is that I am for
planned sustainable development and you and your GMA friends are for
growth-at-any-cost. You want to develop first and then hope that the
problem isn’t as bad as Mark says that it is. I want to get the
problem taken care of first, or at least understand how bad the
problem is, and then plan growth that is consistent with available
resources. ‘Plan first, grow later’ as opposed to ‘grow and hope for
the best,’ which will certainly fill the pockets of the GMA board
but might not do much for the rest of us.

All the best, Joe

---- Jeff Harkins <jeffh at moscow.com> wrote:

and your point is .....................