[Vision2020] Merit Pay

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 21:18:53 PDT 2007

Tim,

  I think the schools should operate like the US Military in that it should screen the current teachers for the best possible candidates, then pay for their schooling if they agree to continue to work for the school district for an equitable amount of time. Teachers should not be forced to pay out of pocket expenses that result in little or no benefit to them.

  Best,

  Donovan

TIM RIGSBY <tim.rigsby at hotmail.com> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }      I would see very little benefit since my school is at the top of the ISAT rankings.  Plus, I would see the same benefit if I got my masters degree.  In fact, I would probably make more money in the long run with a masters degree.  Get certified to teach five different subjects???  Wow that is a lot of schooling and a lot of money out of my pocket.  That pay raise would not cover the cost to be certified in five different subject areas.  Luna’s pay plan ties most increases to loss of due processState Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna released a plan today that could increase the salaries paid to Idaho educators. But don’t expect a substantial increase unless you are willing to trade in your due process rights and to spend thousands of dollars to earn additional credits and endorsements.
“This plan trumpets the possibility that a teacher could earn as much as $15,600 more per year. The chances of that happening are slim, at best,” IEA President Sherri Wood said.
Luna unveiled his plan during the second and final meeting today of an interim legislative committee that was formed to explore the concepts introduced in HB 294 at the end of the 2007 legislative session. That bill, which was proposed by Rep. Scott Bedke and Sen. Bob Geddes, offered a bump in salary in exchange for an individual’s agreement to give up continuing contract status. The interim legislative committee held its first meeting on Sept. 10. During that meeting the IEA presented a three-tiered salary plan to the committee. (See story below)
Since then Luna met with various organizations, including the IEA. IEA officials told him that the Association is willing to investigate alternative compensation structures and to discuss improvements in the continuing contract law, but the two issues should not be tied together.
“Superintendent Luna’s plan has some intriguing features, but deserves careful and thorough scrutiny,” said Wood. “Over the next weeks and months, there will be lots of talk about how much salaries could increase under this plan. But teachers aren’t likely to swallow the bait without investigating what’s on the other end of the line.”
Luna’s pay plan has six levels:
Foundation Pay: The current “steps and lanes” pay structure would remain in place.
Student Achievement: Pay increases for all certificated staff in a school would be based on school improvement ($1,200-$2,400 per person for growth in the Spring ISAT scores for the entire school) or school performance ($1,200 per person for excellence in the Spring ISAT scores in a given year for the entire school).
Local Control: School districts could pay $2,400 to a maximum of 10% of their instructional staff if they fill “Market Scarcity” positions--that is jobs designated by the State Board of Education as difficult to recruit and retain. The remaining three levels are available only to teachers who trade in their due process rights.
Career Opportunity: School boards could offer two-year or three-year contracts to teachers who give up their renewable contract status. In turn, those teachers would receive a $2400 pay increase annually.
Expertise: Teachers with multiple certifications or endorsements could earn $1,200 or $1,800 or $2,400 more per year. The three thresholds are: $1,200 for 2 certifications or endorsements for those teaching 8th grade or lower, or 3 for those teaching 9th grade or higher; $1,800 for 3 certifications or endorsements for those teaching 8th grade or lower, or 4 for those teaching 9th grade or higher; $2,400 for 4 certifications or endorsements for those teaching 8th grade or lower, or 5 for those teaching 9th grade or higher.
Leadership: Up to 30% of a district’s teachers with four or more years of experience could receive an additional $2,400 if they take on such roles as mentors for new teachers or curriculum committee work.
“Superintendent Luna’s plan recognizes that student achievement is a school-wide effort and not simply the result of individual teachers. We support that aspect of his plan,” Wood said.
“Where we part company with the superintendent is on the final three levels. Giving up one’s due process rights has nothing to do with expertise or leadership or paying thousands of dollars out of one’s pocket to earn additional endorsements,” Wood said.
For more details about this plan, visit the State Department of Education’s website.

    IEA proposes 3-tiered salary plan to legislative committeeDuring the first meeting of the legislative task force, the IEA outlined a three-tiered salary structure based on knowledge and skills. Wood and IEA Executive Director Jim Shackelford explained a three-tiered salary structure that is built on a career foundation pay schedule. Educators could voluntarily seek to move to the second level of the pay plan by demonstrating increased knowledge and skills. The third step of the new system would be group-based performance awards. You can review the presentation Wood and Shackelford made to the legislative committee, as well as the more-detailed framework they presented in written form. An IEA committee developed these proposals and the IEA Board of Directors has approved them.

" 'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted." - Hunter S. Thompson

  Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today! =======================================================
List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com