[Vision2020] Faith and fireworks and the Moscow Chamber

Darrell Keim keim153 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 17:32:53 PDT 2007

Bill,

I've enjoyed the conversation today.  A few more comments are interspersed
with your remarks.
-----------------------------------
D-
I am continuing this thread to let you know the history of distrust that I,
for one, have with the Chamber.  And yes, I understand that you just got
here and are hoping to change it.  That is why I am bothering to respond.

*Darrell responds:*  I'm not hoping to change it, Bill; it has already
changed.  In a lot of ways your distrust is with an organization that
doesn't exist anymore.  Our Chamber has had 100% new staff, and many new
board members since it was politically "hot" a year or so ago.

The Chamber chose to not admit that the former director resigned under
duress and then chose to not respond to the former director's charges.
Those decisions were cloaked in that well-worn "can't ever comment on
personnel decisions."

*Darrell responds:*  There is a reason why that comment is well worn.  It is
true!  If the Chamber were to publicly discuss personnel issues it would be
open to a lawsuit. Everyone knows that sometimes new hires just don't work
out, for a variety of reasons.

That despite the fact the former director had resigned, had left town, and
had made some serious charges about the bias and incompetence of the Chamber
board.

*Darrell responds:*  It doesn't matter if the former director moved to
Timbuktu.  Personnel issues still can't be discussed.

  I thought then, and believe now, that the Chamber needed to explain its
position and decisions.  At that point, it was no longer just a issue of
personnel, the question had become the open-ness of the Chamber's
decision-making.

*Darrell responds:*  You are welcome to feel that way.  I don't believe
getting in a public shouting match with their former, short term director
would of been of any benefit to anyone.  We are beyond that now.  I believe
you will be seeing some of these issues addressed in a VERY direct and
forthright manner in coming weeks and months.

As I noted before, that is just the latest example.  And hopefully, the
last.
Good luck
BL

*Darrell responds:*  Thanks, Bill.  People will not always agree with what I
have to say.  But, I want them to know that it will always be the truth as I
know it.  See you around town!