[Vision2020] Donovan's Insanity

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Oct 15 09:38:47 PDT 2007

Arnold,

You have no one but yourself to blame for your current
insanity.  That's too bad because as a student you made a lot of
contributions to the UI.  Your contributions to this list are pretty pathetic.

I do not consider the Faculty Council vote against my proposal that
UI athletics should fund itself an example of public ridicule.  I can
give you at least a half dozen instances in which I was able to pass
measures in the general faculty (sometimes with 2-1 votes) that had
been rejected by Faculty Council.  Faculty Council acts like a
private club with administrative supervision.

When the VP for Research called me in the spring of 2003 telling me
that I had received a research award (three given each year), he also
let me know that he appreciated all my contributions to the UI.

I have handled more faculty and staff grievances (100 plus) than any
other person in UI history.  Most of them have never seen the light
of day, but 9 out of 11 were won in count with settlements of nearly
2 million dollars.  More than my teaching and research, working with
these people has been my life's greatest joy.

Nick Gier
At 11:00 PM 10/14/2007, you wrote:
>Gier,
>
>I didn't realize you retired four years ago. Although your positions
>can drive me insane at times, I appreciate your service to the
>University and for the willing to put forth ideas that were so open
>to public ridicule from people like me : ).
>
>I hope your retirement is a long and good one, you deserve it.
>
>Best to you,
>
>Donovan
>
>Nick Gier <ngier at uidaho.edu> wrote:
>Matt,
>You still don't understand the difference between 20 percent of UI
>staff who make under $10.75 per hour, and faculty who have been
>getting pretty good raises, although still at the bottom of their
>peer institutions.
>Just for the record, I did quit four years ago.  It's called retirement.
>To Donovan: my proposal used the CPI as a standard.  I never made it
>to the CPI, but the upper administration have done it for
>years.  Only those above the CPI would donate their extras wages.
>Nick Gier
>At 05:59 PM 10/14/2007, you wrote:
Nick,

The great thing about your and my job is we can quit. If you don't
think you make enough than quit. I doubt our wounded soldiers can do that.

So again I would rather donate my meager earnings to our troops than
to the "highly underpaid" staff.

Matt

 > Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:12:38 -0700
 > From: nickgier at adelphia.net
 > To: mattd2107 at hotmail.com
 > CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
 > Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Friday Fireworks
 >
 > Hi Matt,
 >
 > You misunderstood what the issue was about. In my post I made a
clear distinction between the administrators and faculty, who have
received good pay raises over the past four years, while classified
staff have not. Nearly 20 percent, according to Tom Trail's figures,
are under the poverty line.

 > I also noted that administrators are way ahead of the CPI and full
professors are way behind, but UI staff are even further behind, how
much we don't know because salary figures are available.

 > My new suggestion is that UI administrators donate all their
salary above the CPI to fund a living wage of $10.75 for all UI
classified staff.