[Vision2020] Coulter's Dream - from CNN

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Mon Oct 15 06:54:27 PDT 2007

Paul,

I don't think that you're a "basher of Christianity" and by and large I think that most of
your posts on these topics are interesting and thought provoking. I encourage discussions
along these lines, which is why I got into philosophy in the first place.

I do think that you let a few loud, illogical, fear-obsessed Christians -- the "random
televangelist" -- influence your view of the faith in general. Most of the Christians that I
know -- the folks in the pews, not in front of the camera (or behind the scenes,
whispering in Donovan's ear) -- are not arrogant idiots. Whether they understand their
faith the way you do -- "Christians believe that  ..." -- and whether they think that "the
Bible tells them to shout it from the rooftops" are subjects of disagreement and debate.

And I've met more than a few arrogant Buddhists!

Best, Joe

---- Paul Rumelhart <godshatter at yahoo.com> wrote:

=============
Joe Campbell wrote:
> You can believe whatever you want. My objection is to Coulter’s dogmatic, arrogant
> attitude about the superiority of her beliefs over those of others. This is especially
> irritating since her beliefs are the product of faith, and it is hard to see how faith could
> ever support arrogant dogmatism. I’m annoyed too because I’m a Christian and some
> people – Paul for instance – seem to think that idiotic arrogance typifies Christian belief.

There are a couple of reasons why I think that idiotic arrogance is so
prevalent in Christianity.

Christians believe that the Supreme Ruler of the Universe, the Guy that
Created Everything, the One that Can Perform Miracles, Defy Time and
Space, and Even Rise from the Dead is telling them that they are
completely correct in their beliefs and that they shouldn't bother even
questioning them lest they begin to doubt and lose their ticket on the A
Train to the Place of Heavenly Glory that only they are invited to.
Isn't that pretty much the definition of "dogmatic arrogance"?

The other reason they are so prevalent is that the Bible tells them to
shout it from the rooftops, so everyone has a chance to get in the door.

I need only point to a random televangelist as an example of a
dogmatically arrogant person.  What surprises me, though, is that I have
found a great many humble Christians.  They aren't the ones in the news
telling Jews that they can be perfected if they switch to their
religion, and they aren't the ones asking you for donations for their
ginormous temple they are trying to get built.  In fact, I probably know
more humble Christians than I do humble non-Christians.  I find that
very surprising, and give their faith a few points just for that.

Please don't take me for a Basher of Christians.  I have deep respect
for those Christians that are humble and who work hard on a one-to-one
relationship with their God.  I just think that the idea of requiring
unquestioning faith is dangerous, because, among other problems, it
leads to idiots like Ann Coulter making the rest of you look bad.  How
many arrogant Buddhists do you see in the news making statements like that?

Paul