[Vision2020] For Those Who Think It's Just Another Gubmint School . . .

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Oct 14 06:42:08 PDT 2007

>From today's (October 14, 2007) Spokesman Review -

UI Device Could Speed Diagnoses

'Biosensors' would detect DNA mutations

Associated Press

October 14, 2007

Scientists at the University of Idaho are working on a futuristic device
that might be able to diagnose ailments like cancer by detecting DNA
mutations, greatly reducing diagnostic time.

Called biosensors, lab trials at the university have accurately detected
staph infections and biomarkers for lung cancer.

"Current cancer detection technologies require a time-consuming bacteria
culture," said Wusi Maki, who leads UI's biosensor research team. "Our
technologies can detect the cancer bio-mark directly from the DNA sample.
Because the DNA mutation starts before the cancer, we can reverse it before
it takes hold."

The technology was on display Friday at a University of Idaho Research Park
workshop that also drew researchers from other universities.

"The diagnosis (of medical conditions) is being cut from days to hours,"
said Harold Craighead, a physics professor at Cornell University. "It's good
that we meet, especially when our areas overlap. UI is highly on the
electronic side of sensing techniques."

The biosensor is not on the market currently, and scientists are still
looking at how it might be used.

"We are developing advanced technologies and now are trying to connect with
life science researchers and other end-users," Maki said.

Biosensors are part of what's known as nanotechnology, and the workshop also
looked at ways that Idaho might be able to take advantage of the U.S.
National Nanotechnology Initiative.

The initiative looks to keep the U.S. ahead in nanotechnology and its
applications for such things as human health and national security,
according to its Web site.

"We hope to help health sciences experts advance their research with better
tools - better technology and methodology - to do their jobs better," said
Gary Maki, principal investigator for microelectronics research at the
University of Idaho.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)