[Vision2020] [CORRECTED] UI Friday Letter for October 12, 2007

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 12 06:29:18 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for October 12, 2007

2007 Homecoming Schedule available at:

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/2007_Homecoming_Schedule.pdf

University of Idaho

Office of the President

Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365

Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends October 12, 2007

Dear Friends,

This is Homecoming weekend, and our timing could not have been more perfect.
The campus is vibrant with the colorful change of seasons. We look forward
to welcoming alumni and friends back to campus for an impressive array of
activities - consult the Web site at
http://www.webedit.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=65028. Traditions like
Homecoming sustain our University and provide a reminder to all generations
of alumni that they are a part of the University of Idaho legacy.
Appropriately, the Homecoming theme this year is "Living the Legacy,
Pursuing Our Future."

Tonight, the traditional serpentine across campus begins at 8 p.m., and
we'll end up in the Kibbie Dome parking lot for a bonfire and, new this
year, a fireworks show at 9:15 p.m.  We are very pleased to honor former
Idaho Senator Jim '50 and Louise '50 McClure as grand marshals for the
parade, which begins at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

Students spent the week putting up decorations, building floats and
performing in a jingles contest. They also worked to make our community
better by sponsoring a blood drive, a campus and community clean up and a
food drive.

The food drive is timely, as next week is World Food Bank Week on campus.
June Henton, dean of Auburn University's College of Human Sciences, will
make presentations on campus as the Margaret Ritchie Distinguished Speaker.
Her keynote address to the campus community on Friday, October 19, at 10:30
a.m. in the Administration Auditorium explores "Universities Fighting World
Hunger: Accelerating the Movement."  Henton believes the best way to battle
hunger is to enlist college students, and Idaho students have responded.
Last year, our chapter of the War on Hunger collected 4,000 pounds of food
for local food banks during the Homecoming food drive and some 6,000 pounds
during Beat Boise State Week.

Professor Sandra Haarsager would have thoroughly enjoyed this Homecoming
weekend, as she had since 1988 when she joined the University of Idaho.
Sandra epitomized everything that is right about the University and our
community with her unwavering dedication to students, music and the arts,
academics, journalism, administration, and relations with our stakeholders,
constituents and friends. We are deeply saddened and diminished, as Sandra
passed away last weekend from an extended illness. The community gathered
last evening in the University Auditorium with her family, friends and
colleagues in a memorable celebration of this accomplished and wonderful
woman.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Thanks to the combined efforts of University of Idaho students, professors
and an alumnus, the heart of downtown Buhl now pays honor to the city's main
industry with a giant sculpture of a trout. On September 15, Buhl, "the
trout capital of the world, dedicated a 40-foot by 60-foot sculpture during
"Trout Festival." In 2003, a project idea was presented to the University's
Art and Design Department. Residents of Buhl wanted the department to design
a sculpture for what they call the "big ugly wall." Professor Phillip Mead,
a native of nearby Twin Falls, embraced the idea and created a class
entitled "The Buhl Wall Project." A selection committee reviewed 16
different proposals, and a design submitted by graduate student Cindy
Darnell was chosen. "I hope the University uses the success of this project
to reach out to other communities in Idaho," said Jim Lunte, project manager
and Idaho alumnus. "Public art is an enduring legacy in our communities and
Buhl is blessed to be able to have this monumental piece. This project will
be a hard act to follow."

Pauline Peters of the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard
University is the keynote speaker for the second fall semester Martin Forum.
She will discuss her research on the challenges of development in southern
Africa. Free and open to the public, the lecture will begin at 3:30 p.m. on
Thursday, October 25, in the Idaho Commons Horizon Room. Peters, a lecturer
in public policy and anthropology, is a social anthropologist whose research
concentrates on agrarian transformation. She also has extensive field
research in southern and east-central Africa. Her visit is co-sponsored by
the departments of geography and sociology.

The TRIO Center in the College of Education will receive more than $1
million in funding from the U.S. Department of Education over the next four
years. The grant will allow Idaho to continue its Upward Bound Math Science
project through 2011. The project serves low-income and first-generation
college-bound high school students from Coeur d'Alene, Lake City, Post
Falls, Lewiston, Clarkston, Wash., and Asotin, Wash. It assists such
students on their pathways to success by providing assistance with math and
science throughout the academic year, as well as a six-week academic program
during the summer on the University of Idaho campus.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3