[Vision2020] The Human Toll

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 9 15:34:54 PDT 2007

"The notion that we ought to now go to Baghdad and somehow take control of
the country strikes me as an extremely serious one in terms of what we'd
have to do once we got there. You'd probably have to put some new government
in place. It's not clear what kind of government that would be, how long
you'd have to stay. For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining
the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern in Iraq strikes me as
a classic definition of a quagmire." - Dick Cheney, 1991

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

And Dick Cheney again in 1994

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9a8_1186873756

-------------------------------

"I think Rumsfeld, Cheney, and the president made a big mistake in
justifying going into the war in Iraq. They put the emphasis on weapons of
mass destruction." - Gerald R. Ford (July 28, 2004)

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Ford_Iraq_Big_Mistake.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

>From the October 15, 2007 edition of the Army Times -

-------------------------------

U.S. service members who died while supporting combat operations in Iraq,
confirmed by the Defense Department from September 28 through October 4:

Marine Lance Cpl. Jeremy W. Burris, 22, of Tacoma, Washington; assigned to
1st Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine
Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, California.

Army Cpl. Benjamin C. Dillon, 22, of Rootstown, Ohio; assigned to the 3rd
Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Georgia.

Army Spc. Rachel L. Hugo, 24, of Madison, Wisconsin; assigned to the 303rd
Military Police Company, 97th Military Police Battalion, 89th Military
Police Brigade, U.S. Army Reserve, Jackson, Michigan.

Army Spc. Vincent G. Kamka, 23, of Everett, Washington; assigned to the 1st
Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd
Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Army Spc. Jason N. Marchand, 26, of Greenwood, West Virginia; assigned to
the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, in Vilseck, Germany.

Army Sgt. Joseph B. Milledge, 23, of Pointblank, Texas; assigned to the 3rd
Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, in Vilseck, Germany.

Army Spc. Avealalo Milo, 23, of Hayward, California; assigned to the 2nd
Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 1st
Armored Division, Vilseck, Germany.

Army Sgt. Ricardo X. Rodriguez, 23, of Arecibo, Puerto Rico; assigned to the
2nd Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team,
82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.

Navy Seaman Apprentice Shayna Ann Schnell, 19, of Tell City, Indiana;
assigned to Naval Security Force Bahrain, Jebel Ali Detachment, United Arab
Emirates.

September 28 - October 4

Killed: 9; wounded in action: 84

March 19, 2003 - October 4, 2007

Killed: 3,800; wounded in action: 28,093

-------------------------------

The following U.S. service members died while supporting combat operations
in Afghanistan, confirmed by the Defense Department from September 28
through October 4:

Navy Petty Officer Third Class Mark R. Cannon, 31, of Lubbock, Texas;
assigned to 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine
Expeditionary Force, Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

Army Spc. Adam D. Quinn, 22, of Orange City, Florida; assigned to
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg,
North Carolina.

September 28 - October 4

Killed: 2; Wounded in action: 20

Oct. 10, 2001 - October 4, 2007

Killed: 440; Wounded in action: 1,627

-------------------------------

National Guard (In Federal Status) and Reserve Mobilized

(as of October 3, 2007)

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Oct2007/d20071003ngr.pdf

And the beat goes on . . .

"Bring 'em Home"

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Songs/Bring_em_home.mp3
<javascript:ol('http://www.tomandrodna.com/Stuff/Cheney_Quagmire.mp3');>

"If you love this land of the free

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Bring them back from overseas

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

It will make the politicians sad, I know

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna tangle with their foe

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

They wanna test their grand theories

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

With the blood of you and me

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Now we'll give no more brave young lives

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

For the gleam in someone's eyes

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The men will cheer and the boys will shout

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah and we will all turn out

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

The church bells will ring with joy

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

To welcome our darlin' girls and boys

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

We will lift our voice and sound

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home

Yeah, when Johnny comes marching home

Bring 'em home, bring 'em home."

Pro patria,

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

-- Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.