[Vision2020] Oppose Noise Ordinance Modifications

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Oct 8 13:59:24 PDT 2007

Kit,

At the city council meeting that you voted on the amendment, I heard Randy Fife (maybe it was Gary Riedner) say differently about noise levels.  He implied that there is no set noise limit and that it is up to the officer to decide if it is a nuisance.

Listening to the audio of the meeting, I believed you asked David Duke about this, and it seemed like he confirmed Randy Fife (or GR).  The Mayor asked the same thing.  The answer was that it is up to the discretion of the officer, and that it doesn't matter what time it is.

http://www.ci.moscow.id.us/cityclerk/2007minutesalt.asp

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but that's the way I interpreted what they said.

This is the section of the current ordinance that may back this up (see the bolded and italicized portion):

Sec. 11-2. Public Nuisance Noises
 Prohibited.
 It shall be unlawful and a nuisance for
 any person to make, continue, or cause to
 be made any loud, unnecessary or unusual
 noise, vibration, or any noise which either
 annoys, disturbs, injures, or endangers the
 comfort, repose, health, peace or safety of
 another person within the City. The
 following acts, among others, are declared
 to be unlawful nuisance noises in violation
 of this Code Section, but said enumeration
 shall not be deemed to be exclusive; these
 acts may constitute a violation even when
 the noises created are within the limits
 contained elsewhere herein:

Am I misinterpreting this?

Thanks,

Garrett

--- Craine Kit  wrote:  > Garret & all, >  > The material which was posted in the Council packet > is not the   > complete ordinance. It is simply the amendment. The > full ordinance   > (along with the one addressing dogs barking) is > available at: http://  > www.ci.moscow.id.us/citycode/TITLE10/toc.asp . > Select "Noise   > Regulations". >  > Under this and the amendments, the police can NOT > ticket anyone at   > any time they feel like it. The time and decibel > limits still apply   > (see Sec. 11-3 on page 2).