[Vision2020] UI Friday Letter for October 5, 2007 (And All That Jazz)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Oct 5 06:18:07 PDT 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for October 5, 2007

University of Idaho

Office of the President

Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151

Phone: 208-885-6365

Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter

A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends October 5, 2007

Dear Friends,

More than 500 members of the University and extended community came together
throughout Day 1 of the inaugural President's Sustainability Symposium
focused on carbon, climate and our environment. I am tremendously proud of
the success of this event, which opened an engaging public dialogue among
decision makers in public, private and non-profit sectors about how
partnerships can make a difference in addressing climate change. Idaho
Governor C.L. "Butch" Otter added his voice to the call for the University
of Idaho and its sister institutions to mobilize our resources and provide
leadership on this issue. Our task is to grow our capacity for scholarship
on critical issues surrounding climate change and to use that knowledge to
educate the leaders of tomorrow. I invite you to learn from the rich
information and perspective we gained. Speakers' biographies and
presentations are at
www.uihome.uidaho.edu/uihome/sustainability/agenda.aspx.

The Symposium's second day turned the conversation inward, as faculty, staff
and students discussed the issues and their implications for implementation
of the University's Strategic Action Plan. Anthony D. Cortese, a leader on
the role of higher education in sustainability issues, ideas and practices,
joined Provost and Executive Vice President Doug Baker to facilitate the
day. The group affirmed sustainability as an overarching theme to enrich
teaching and learning, scholarly and creative activity, outreach and
engagement and the structure, culture and climate of the University of
Idaho. We want to build on the many strong programs and business practices
with a sustainability emphasis that already exist at the University. (See
examples at www.sustainability.uidaho.edu/default.aspx?pid=99066.)

Students play a significant role in our ongoing efforts to inform and
educate about sustainability, and I am frequently amazed, amused and
delighted by the creative ways they keep the issue in the forefront. A few
weeks ago, Art and Architecture students staged a wearable art competition.
Students were provided with a palette of supplies, such as plastic grocery
bags, trash bags and other things that normally would be thrown away.
Congratulations to Amy Probert and Rebecca Stucki, both of Boise, who won
first place with a strapless green dress made out of a recycled tarp and
accessorized with a belt made from an old window screen and a gold
bubble-wrap shrug.

Tim White

President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Curriculum and instruction faculty members Jerine Pegg, Anne Adams and
Rodney McConnell are teaming up to help Idaho math and science teachers
integrate literacy into their programs. The Idaho State Board of Education
has awarded a one-year, renewable $200,000 grant to the College of Education
department to support the project "Literacy Instruction in Math and Science
for Secondary Teachers." The project will focus on integrating literacy
strategies into secondary math and science courses by working with sixth
grade through high school math and science teachers. Participating school
districts include Avery, Bonners Ferry, Kellogg, Whitepine, Plummer-Worley
and Pierce/Weippe.

The 2008 Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival celebrates Lionel
Hampton's 100th birthday with some new twists. Artistic Director John
Clayton will lead the festivities Feb. 20-23. The evening concert lineup
includes:

*Wednesday, Feb. 20, New Orleans is in the House: The kick-off concert
features some of the Crescent City's musical icons including: Dr. John;
violinist Aaron Weinstein; and Wycliffe Gordon.

*Thursday, Feb. 21, Hamp - The Innovator and Showman: This concert will
showcase some of the freshest sounds of today's jazz. Featured artists
include: saxophonists Tia Fuller, Grace Kelly and Isaiah Morfin; Regina
Carter, violin; vocalist Roberta Gambarini; and Roy Hargrove's RH Factor.

*Friday, Feb. 22, Masters and Mentors: Acknowledged masters and some of the
hottest young players will join together to perform. Featured artists
include: Dee Daniels with Sara Gazarek, vocals; Curtis Fuller with Ryan
Porter and Ismael Curves, trombone; Hank Jones with Taylor Eigsti, piano;
Bobby Hutcherson with Warren Wolf, vibes; and Jon Hendricks with vocalist
Sachal Vasandani.

*Saturday, Feb. 23, Hamp's Big Band Birthday Bash and Dance Party: An
old-fashioned battle of the bands between the Lionel Hampton Big Band and
the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra. Featured vocal artists include Dee
Daniels and Kevin Mahogany, and there will be dance floors.

Herbert L. Rees '44, '46, a native of Murtaugh, earned a bachelor's and a
master's degree in chemistry at Idaho and then started a 40-year career with
Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. His career culminated with his
appointment as president of Eastman Technology in 1984. In addition to
numerous professional awards, memberships and recognitions, Herb was
inducted into the University of Idaho Alumni Association's Hall of Fame in
1990. Herb never forgot the fine education and wonderful student experience
he had at Idaho. With a recent $100,000 cash gift, he created The Herbert L.
Rees University Excellence Endowment, the available income from which will
be made available to the President's Excellence Fund. "Those in charge know
best where the needs are, so I'm leaving it their hands to use it wisely,"
says Herb. To learn more about creating an endowment, contact Ed McBride at
(208) 885-9026, mcbride at uidaho.edu.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3