[Vision2020] Letter to the Editor from Mayor Chaney

Stephanie Kalasz skalasz at ci.moscow.id.us
Thu Oct 4 16:32:54 PDT 2007

October 3, 2007

Editor:

The Palouse Basin overflows with talent and commitment to resolve our
challenges related to a declining groundwater supply. The third annual
Palouse Basin Water Summit on October 2 featured experts in the history
of water management and use, cutting-edge hydrogeological studies past
and present, the economic good sense of responsibly managing the
resource, legislation and policy pertaining to water rights, educational
materials to enhance awareness of the issues, and products to facilitate
conservation.

I particularly appreciate the organizational efforts by Rob Buchert and
Suzanne Hamada of Palouse Conservation District and this year's
multi-jurisdictional planning committee, chaired by Moscow City Council
Member Aaron Ament. Panelists included scientists, members of the
business and development community, government officials, engineers and
researchers. The day was chock-full of valuable information, including
where we are in understanding the complex water system underlying the
Palouse and what prospective solutions are being explored to sustain our
water supply for future generations. I was encouraged by the widespread
recognition that this is a regional concern-not a unilateral
one-warranting regional cooperation and likely, regional funding. Idaho
Department of Water Resources Director David Tuthill told attendees that
the Palouse Basin is far ahead of many other places in Idaho regarding
our levels of knowledge, cooperation and long-range planning. We can be
optimistic and proud of our accomplishments to date, but we're not done
yet.

The Palouse is well-positioned to "get it right." We have an enviable
quality of life to protect, a collective drive to be successful, and an
abundance of talent and commitment to accomplish our goals. We are
poised to make land use decisions that will affect our resource
consumption and growth patterns forever. The Water Summit was an
excellent next step. I extend my sincere thanks to all who participated.
See http://palousewatersummit.org/ to learn more.

Nancy Chaney

Mayor, City of Moscow