[Vision2020] Things That Make You Go "Hmmm"

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Oct 3 08:38:47 PDT 2007

"Jefferson Davis!"  That wacky ol' Doug Wilson -- always the comedian . . .

. . . Whose response to the NY Times magazine article -- and let's remember that the NY Times magazine is largely a stringer- and freelance- fed feature organ of the newspaper -- has changed markedly.  He was understandably thrilled that a real reporter(a girl, even) had noticed him and thought him worthy of her attentions.  Heady stuff for a small-town, untrained bigot with grandiose self-esteem and unfettered arrogance, to be sure.

But then the condescending tone of Ms. Worthen's article began to settle in places Wilson rarely discusses, or even recognizes.  And over the course of the week, it became evident that he actually didn't look like such an intellectual.  He surely didn't look like the visionary leader of a new Reformation.  Why, he's estranged from his brother -- apparently, over theology issues that other families seem to deal with more lovingly, and ethics issues that generally don't even surface in most people's lives.  His students don't seem to grasp their young instructors' most basic points; the instructors remember that feeling all too well, as they are barely more educated than their students and not a lot older.  Marriage seems as much  a part of the curriculum focus as rhetoric and logic, and his denomination is largely self-formed and self-affirming.  Worse, his puckish wit translated into, well, kind of a backwoods bumpkinism that looking like a lumberjack only, sadly, confirms.  And all of this even after our intrepid young reporter fillets her journalistic integrity at the doorstep of Roy Atwood's home, where she stayed during her research time in Moscow.  A dying gasp of journalistic excellence escapes, and all Wilson has is, well, the uncomfortable realization that his brother, a fellow pastor, thinks he's not such a great guy and his daddy doesn't wanna talk about him a whole lot.

So yeah.  I guess, if I were Wilson, I'd be in a snit, too.  But then again, if I were Wilson, I'd be a lot less concerned about what the NY Times magazine thinks of me, and just a wee tad more concerned about what God does.

keely