[Vision2020] Are you enabling extremism?

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 19:17:30 PDT 2007

Sorry I missed most of this conversation, I can't (shouldn't, I guess)
access my email from work.

I see from later posts that you are referring to ALF and ELF.  I would
propose the tree-spiking that Earth First!ers have done as a better
example.  For those who don't remember, that involves hammering a spike
into a tree that is likely to be cut down by loggers so that it will
cause havoc when it goes through the sawing machinery, possibly maiming
or killing those running the machines.  That action has a more
straightforward goal in mind that involves injury and/or death.

The difference is that ecoterrorists are not routinely raised from birth
not to question their beliefs.  They do not hold the epitome of
unquestioning (faith) to be a virtue.  They do not have a tome that they
are told is God's Word that describes punishments that sometimes involve
death for various categories of people.  Ecoterrorists individually
become extremists on their own, not through a tradition of learning that
endorses the eschewing of fact and the adoration of blind subservience.

I don't think that Richard Dawkins is trying to make the point that all
extremists are religious.  I think he's trying to say that a subsection
of society that promotes turning your back on fact and evidence in favor
of unquestioning obedience to an idea that is supposed to be higher than
the rule of law is in fact dangerous for society, even if most of the
individual members of that subsection of society are in fact quite nice
neighbors to have a beer with, and wouldn't harm a hair on your head.

Paul