[Vision2020] Oppose Proposed Noise Ordinance Modifications

Kai Eiselein, editor editor at lataheagle.com
Mon Oct 1 14:09:22 PDT 2007

Sorry Garrett, but a dozen drunken kids standing outside and screaming at the top of their lungs at 3 a.m. in a residential neighborhood is a bit beyond a "free speech" issue.
I called the police several times on my college student neighbors and they weren't ticketed because I didn't have to call back within the timeframe required, 48 hours. They have since moved, a young family has moved in and things have been peaceful since.
While living in Spokane, we had a new neighbor move in next door, including their 16 year old son. Soon, we had all sorts of cars rolling down the block with their boom-boom stereos cranked up.
When I asked the kids' father to tell his son and his sons' friends to turn down the volume, I got the "They are kids being kids" answer.
The police wouldn't do anything, despite repeated complaints from many of us on the block.
I finally had had enough and went around to all of my neighbors to tell them what I was going to do. They all agreed with my plan.
One summer Sunday morning, about 5:30 a.m., I rolled my dragbike out of the shop and moved onto my lawn about 25 feet away from my neighbors' open bedroom window.
Then I lit 'er up: Unmuffled motorcycle exhaust at 9,000 to 10,000 rpm makes a LOT of noise.
The dad came screaming out of his house, wanting to know what the hell I was doing.
"Racers will be racers, just getting ready to head to the track".
We never had another problem, the kids turned down their steroes before they got on our block. I even got to know some of them and, on occasion, would fix their cars when they broke down.