[Vision2020] UI Friday Letter for Friday (November 30, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 30 05:44:27 PST 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for November 30, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends November 30, 2007

Dear Friends,

Two University of Idaho faculty members recently have been honored with
national awards for outstanding performance. Their work in teaching,
research and outreach is emblematic of the skill, experience and dedication
of our faculty, and provides yet more evidence of how our leading people and
programs impact the state and our world.

College of Engineering Dean Aicha Elshabini received the Outstanding
Educator award from the International Microelectronics and Packaging Society
(IMAPS). Elshabini is the first woman engineer to earn three top awards from
IMAPS in its 40-year history. Last year, she was awarded the Daniel C.
Hughes award for lifetime achievement in microelectronic packaging.
Previously, she received the Fellow of the Society award. The Outstanding
Educator award is given to an individual with significant contributions to
education for the microelectronics and electronic packaging industry, and to
the advancement of IMAPS student chapters.

Animal physiologist and dairy management professor Amin Ahmadzadeh received
one of six regional teaching awards given by the U.S. Department of
Agriculture and the National Association of State Land-Grant Universities.
Amin works closely with the state's rapidly growing dairy industry, and he
also puts a priority on educating future dairy leaders. He helped revive the
College of Agricultural and Life Science's dairy judging team and served as
adviser to Idaho students competing in the National Intercollegiate Dairy
Challenge. The team earned top honors nationally in 2004 and 2005. Amin also
has received the University's teaching excellence award, the college's R.M.
Wade Excellence in Teaching Award and was named the college's outstanding
academic adviser in 2007.

To be home to faculty and staff who are so well respected in their fields is
an honor to our institution. We thank and congratulate Professor Ahmadzadeh
and Dean Elshabini. We are truly proud of their past, present and future
successes.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

December commencement will celebrate the accomplishments of nearly 800
graduates. The mid-year commencement ceremony takes place Saturday, December
8, at 12:30 p.m. in the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center. Steven Daley-Laursen,
dean of the university's College of Natural Resources and professor of
forest resources, will give the commencement address. A President's
Medallion will be presented to V. Lane Rawlins, president emeritus and
professor of economic sciences at Washington State University. Following the
ceremony, family, friends and faculty are invited to the President's
Reception to enjoy refreshments with university President Tim and First Lady
Karen White and the new graduates. Additional commencement information is
available online at www.uidaho.edu/registrar/graduation.

Geology Professor Mickey Gunter will speak at the next Science on Tap Coeur
d'Alene presentation Tuesday, December 11, at 5:30 p.m. at the Coeur d'Alene
Brewing Company, 209 East Lakeside Ave. in Coeur d'Alene. His presentation,
"Fear of Risk Versus Risk of Fear While Drinking Beer and Inhaling
Asbestos," will take a hard look at the cost of acting on perceptions not
based in fact. "As a society, we are making decisions based on our
perception of issues, and not based on the science underlying those issues,"
says Gunter. "In 2007, we are preoccupied with West Nile virus, avian flu
and mad cow disease. We worry ourselves sick about things that are not going
to happen. Meanwhile, obesity is epidemic, smoking of cigarettes causes
400,000 deaths a year, and drinking alcohol causes 85,000 deaths in the U.S.
alone, and we allow these." The event is free and open to the public.

The Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF) has established the SCIF
Sables Elaine and Gus Vogeler Hunting Heritage Scholarship at the University
of Idaho. This endowment of more than $63,000, with initial funding from the
Vogelers, is the fourth scholarship established through the SCIF Sables
Scholarship program to assist upper level junior and senior students
majoring in wildlife science. After a site visit, the Sables Governing Board
approved the recommendation to place the fourth scholarship with the College
of Natural Resources this past August. Elaine and Gus Vogeler said, "We are
impressed with the quality of the University of Idaho College of Natural
Resources and the dedication of the entire faculty. We encourage others to
support this fine institution." The Vogelers are both native Idahoans and
dedicated to preserving the state's outdoor heritage. Elaine is a SCIF
Sables director and scholarship chairman, and an SCI director at large, and
serves on the Conservation and Government Affairs committees. For
information about donating to the College of Natural Resources, contact Jane
Urbaska at jlurbaska at uidaho.edu or (208) 885-7400.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3