[Vision2020] Weitz and debate

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 27 22:53:08 PST 2007

vo tech or not...at this point many of us who are tired of this feud are tired of feeling like our children's education is being held hostage.  The people voted twice and the outcome was the same.  The issue now isn't if the school district gets the levy money, but now it is when they get the money. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the Doc's ideas.  In fact, I have heard a few of his ideas for public art and I like them.  But this thing has gone on too long and is getting ridiculous on both sides.  I think it would be very big of the doc to drop the suit and take the high road now.  His point has been made and now some people are talking about the issue.  Not a bad thing.  In fact, that is quite an accomplishment.  I think there is enough interest and momentum for the issue to keep going without the suit.  Please doc, please? Maybe the doc could ride the wave of support for the school district and champion a bond for a new HS that could include some sort of vo tech
 program.

  Donovan Arnold <donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com> wrote:
    Keely,

  If I am interpreting your long email correctly, you seem to be saying that we should not allow the children of MSD a great vo-tech program because it would make Weitz happy and you don't want to make Weitz happy?

  Or is it that MSD just doesn't want to invest in a vo-tech program in favor of some of its current programs?

  Best,

  Donovan

keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    So.  A lot of my good friends and allies have asked me lately why we -- they? -- somebody -- doesn't just go and TALK to Gerry Weitz about voc-tech, lawsuits, and court costs.  Surely, they say, he's a reasonable guy open to compromise and consensus; surely, they say, he isn't the villain he's made out to be.  It's as if the "talk to the guy" option, not having been previously thought of, has suddenly and to the strains of "Kumbaya," wafted through the crisp winter air.

Forget "Hey, gang!  Let's put on a show!"  Now it's "Hey, gang!  Let's talk to Gerry!  Let's build a voc-tech program!  Let's repair the damage he's done to the district!"

Sure.

I think that Gerry will find it just ducky to have those of you around town try to reason with him.  He loves an audience, and the naivete of those who seek to engage him in rational, solution-oriented debate doesn't negate the delight he takes in "educating" them.   Have a great time talking to him, and bless you for your innocent longing to reach a compromise.  Know this, however -- while he pretends to hear you, and then misrepresents what you've said or manipulates you into saying something you don't mean, you will be amazed, if not more than a little ticked off, that you and he will have entirely different accounts of your discussion.  This is not a reasonable, calm, concerned, mature man; this is a bully, a professional gadfly, and a bit of an eccentric (she said, understating her point in the interest of civility)..  Have fun if you want, but know that many of us who are or who have been on the inside are well aware of Gerry's ability to exhaust, overwhelm, and just
 plain befuddle other kind, intelligent, community-oriented people who've tried to reason with him.

Vocational/professional tech offerings require certain things that MSD doesn't have, certain tangible things like adequate facilities as well as certain intangible things like curricular flexibility in light of the oppressive weight of NCLB.  The failure of the bond election in 2005 locked the district in to an inventory of buildings that are inadequate, inefficient, and in need of upgrades just for four-walls-and-a-roof types of classrooms.  NCLB is unlikely to modified unless a Democrat is elected president, and until then, it's what we've got.  It ain't good, and it restricts the teaching of every single subject imaginable, but it is what it is, and while Donovan would like to pretend it doesn't matter, it does.

Further, the obvious and well-documented value of these programs doesn't change the fact that most parents don't want to think of their children as "non-college bound."  Beyond that, we don't want to go back to the 60s and 70s, when teachers determined, often solely on the basis of race or family income level, who was and who wasn't college bound.  And it seems obvious to me that some who don't go to college right away may actually end up going later on, just as some who never go to college -- my husband, for example -- do very well in business and the trades.  The suggestion that MSD is in any way trying to wipe the "non college-bound" off their curricular doorstep is ludicrous and beyond offensive.

Yet there are very likely things MSD could be doing and more it already has done.  An emphasis on  information/public relations outreach to stakeholders would highlight the successes and tremendous competence within the administration.  It would also illustrate the difficulties, the obstacles, and the tried-but-failed ideas.  MSD has so much going for it -- it has a solid, shining story to tell, and a seemingly entrenched approach to public information that makes it unlikely that the whole story will ever really be told.  This discussion would make one think that there is absolutely no professional/tech curriculum offered to MSD schoolchildren.   In fact, MSD does quite a bit, especially given the limitations of facilities and funding.  If people are unaware of the course offerings, it's not because those classes don't exist.  It's because for whatever reason, MSD has decided on a low-profile, high-road, non-combative approach to answering its critics.  It isn't working.  A
 refusal to not "fight issues in the press" guarantees that ink, bandwidth, airwaves and column inches will continue to be occupied by those who have little concern for MSD, for schoolchildren, or for the truth.

Keely

  You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. Join in! =======================================================
List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com