[Vision2020] Industry or Retail

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Tue Nov 27 06:43:35 PST 2007

Darrell,

I agree with this piece.  Every community needs a balance of retail and
industry.  It seems Moscow has an abundance of retail but certainly a
shortage of industry with good paying jobs.  It seems if a new retail or
restaurant comes in, another one goes out; ie, replacement retail.   Not a
good indication that we need more retail.  I would rather see Moscow spend
more time encouraging good paying jobs instead of more retail.

Another dilemma is that times are changing.  Black Friday and physically
shopping in stores is being upstaged by Cyber Monday, shopping on the
internet.  Also, 'industry' is on a steep decline as it is becoming more and
more difficult to compete with China.   Everyone wants to recruit some type
of light industry.  Unfortunately, there aren't many left.

Moscow has been somewhat successful in incubating high tech businesses
spinning out of U-I and WSU.  Bio tech, nano tech, healthcare, etc., are
enjoying rising numbers.  It seems this might be our best bet in encouraging
a more balanced economy.

B. J. Swanson