[Vision2020] Judge rules March schoo levy null and void

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 24 20:32:37 PST 2007

Donovan,

I don't know if there is a problem with a college-track bias over a
vocational one at MSD. I haven't gone to school there since the mid '80s.

However, if I find a problem with you that I don't like - say, you
haven't been keeping your finances in order - should I then sue you on
some other related item in order to get the leverage to force you to do
your finances as I think you should do them?

On the subject of vocational vs college tracks in the school district,
I'm of the opinion that there is more to education than simply making it
possible to find a high paying job immediately after graduation. There
is more to education that what major or career you choose. By the time
you graduate, you should have learned how to think critically, the
importance of using the scientific method or similar philosophies of
learning, and you should have enough basic knowledge to be able to
survive in society. I don't think there should be classes on how to lay
carpet, for example. You should get a basic education, and then use it
as you wish after graduation.

Maybe the school district has been looking too closely at statistics of
how many students make it into Harvard, I don't know. But I don't think
the role of the school district is to make you employable (as opposed to
simply educated). What you do with what you have is up to you - not the
school district administration.

Paul