[Vision2020] Religion and Morality (Was Seeking Some Defintions)

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 19 15:51:25 PST 2007

Dear Chris:

I welcome you to this list and address you personally because so far you have been decent and civil.  This is not, however, the role that you played on Dale's blog, where you have essentially been one of his thuggish umpires who weigh in with insults, calling the strikes, and declaring anyone "out" who dares to challenge the Wilson party line.

I will proceed with caution hoping that you don't turn into a Lemmo Doug, who thankfully keeps his insults away from the Vision these days.

I will rejoin your most recent rebuttals below, but I kindly request that you do two things while you are on the Vision.  First, tell us all how a Calvinist such as you can also be a libertarian.  The basic contradiction I see is that one cannot support the absolutely sovereign self of libertarianism and the absolutely sovereign God of Calvin.  (My essay on this issue is at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/libchristian.htm.) When Wilson and I once taught theology together, he declared the unity of truth, so I will not accept a response that separates political and theological sovereignty.  A "two-truths" doctrine is evasion pure and simple.

Second, since you have reaffirmed the future necessity of a trinitarian oath, I want to know if you can defend the Trinity better than Doug Jones has.  One would think that Christians who make so much of the Trinity could at least give a coherent defense of the doctrine.  My essay on this subject and Jones' meager responses are found at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.

Returning to the issue of morality and religion, here are the figures that I tried to quote from memory in a Spokane motel last night. In 1881 British India the ratio of crimes broke down this way by religion:  one of 274 Christian Europeans committed a crime; one of 799 Christian Indians; one of 1,361 Hindus; and one of 3,787 Buddhists.

With regard to the native Christian count, an English official made the following observation: "It appears from these figures that while we effect a very marked moral deterioration in the natives by converting them to our creed, their natural standard of morality is so high that, however much we Christianize them, we cannot succeed in making them altogether as bad as ourselves"(quoted in J. Head and S. L. Cranston, eds., Reincarnation: The Phoenix Fire Mystery [New York: Julian Crown Publishers, 1977], p. 69).  So much for Christian missionaries making Asians morally better.

I would like for you to tell us which Asian countries have legalized child prostitution, infanticide, and caste discrimination.  The latter is proscribed by the Indian Constitution and federal laws setting aside jobs for Dalits (politically correct word for "untouchables") have been in place for over 20 years.  Furthermore, Indian families who encourage widows to perform "sati" (self immolation on funeral pyres) are rigorously prosecuted.  Individuals in countries all over the world commit atrocities every day but this anecdotal evidence says nothing about the general morality of any particular country.

One of the main points of your posts on morality is that Christianity has improved the moral actions of humankind, but now you seem to be backing away from this position by saying, for example, that America's relative lack of morality is the result of insufficient evangelism.  This appears to be a very weak response especially since post-Christian Europe has much better crime statistics, much lower abortion rates, and far fewer teen STDs.  I challenge you to prove your absurd response that Europeans somehow cheat on their crime rates.

If you have lived so many years around Buddhists you must know how strong the law of karma is for them, and how it is not something illusory in their lives.  If though some of their philosophers tell them that there is nothing but undifferentiated nothingness, they certainly do not act that way. This is roughly equivalent to Calvinists who claim to believe in predestination but never live their lives as if it were true.

For one who follows the pastor who wrote "Southern Slavery As It Was" to decry the sad state of American race relations is really quite remarkable.  How much sadder would those relations be if we condemn President Lincoln and follow Pastor Wilkins and the League of the South?! The mind reels from the cynicism of such a position!

Yes, it is really "nutty" to do an end run around the empirical truth that Jesus was 500 years late on the Golden Rule by saying that Jesus as the Second Person of the Trinity was there before Confucius!  You are just like Wilson and all his top males:  never concede but always evade, which is actually not a very manly thing to do.

Chris: you need to do some more reading from the most recent scholarship on Zoroaster.  You've not mastered the "bulk" of it. Contrary to your incredible claim, no scholar I know ever claimed that Zoroaster came after 586 BCE, when Nebuchadnezzar took the Jews of Judah to Babylon. The dates for this great Persian prophet are being pushed back to at least 1,000 BCE, long before the Babylonian captivity.  Cyrus the Great was a Zoroastrian and he is called "Messiah" for letting the Hebrews to return from captivity in 537 BCE (Is. 45:1).

Thanks for the dialogue,

Nick Gier