[Vision2020] Seeking some definitions -- just what do you mean?

Scott Dredge sdredge at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 16 23:02:19 PST 2007

Chris Witmer wrote:

> Regarding Joe Nopyr's statement, "I choose not to patronize any
 business
> that supports a bigoted, radical, theocratic church," I'd be grateful
 if she
> could define these three words for me.
>
> -- Snip --
>
> Until I see some further explanation, it is hard to avoid the
 conclusion that
> she is simply tossing around ominous-sounding words to help
> disguise her own religious bigotry.
>
> -- Chris

Chris,

Joan's words make perfect sense to me.  Doug Wilson is pastor of Christ Church.
Doug has written numerous times about his disdain for homosexuals and how he
should be allowed to throw homosexuals out of his hypothetical restaurant and that
landlords should be able to refuse renting to homosexuals, etc.  Preaching
that type of discrimination against a minority group such as homosexuals is bigotry.
In terms of radical, Doug has several radical ideas of how "things should be" such as
women should not have the right to vote, men should have the right to own slaves, etc.
Most if not all of Doug's radical ideas are based on his idea that society should be
governed by his interpretation of Biblical law (ie, a theocratic system based on his
interpretation of the Bible).  This should answer you question on definitions even
though this may not necessarily be Joan's response.

In my opinion, Joan isn't disguising anything.  She's calling like she's sees it which
isn't the least ambiguous to me so I'm wondering why you're playing dumb as if
you don't understand - especially since you and Doug have already made it painfully
clear to everyone that you both look forward to the day when homosexuals are once
again executed or exiled.  And oh yeah, when pressed, you'll come up with some
tortured explanation how you don't really wish for this, but that since the Bible is
very clear about it, well the homosexuals know the rules and if they choose to
engaged in a lifestyle that is verboten by the Bible - well then - it's execution or
exile for them and they only have themselves to blame.

I vehemently disagree with the sort of twisted mindset that believes that
homosexuals should be put to death, run out of town, or discriminated against in
any fashion.  If fundys such as yourselves are too blind to see that it's a
much more grievous injustice to punish someone for a victimless so-called sin than to
not punish it, then it's my sincerest hope that none of you would ever be in position of
power to be capable of enforcing such an unnecessary punishment.  And I guess
that's probably the biggest difference between you and me Chris, the fact that in a
position of power I would not be willing to save my soul by sacrificing someone
else in the the form of ordering the execution or exile of this someone who's
actions harmed no one.

I can see why Joan and a great many others wouldn't want one penny of their
expenditures winding up in Doug Wilson's coffers.  And gee isn't funny how
Doug trumpets what a shame it is that we don't live in a world free enough to
kick homosexuals out of restaurants or free enough to refuse renting rooms to
homosexuals and now all of the sudden thinks that putting together a boycott
list of business that funnel money his way is comparable to Nazism.

-Scott