[Vision2020] Noise Ordinance:Decibels In Lewiston City Code

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:59:51 PST 2007

All:

For an explanation of what a decibel is etc., info at this web link:

http://physics.mtsu.edu/~wmr/log_3.htm

Different "weightings" involved in measuring decibels, and other
complexities, are discussed at the web link below:

http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/2004-About-dB/

Note OSHA's noise standards for safety using decibels defined under dB(A)
slow response measurement:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UuZjcFSLXTt5X&EnXF6EVuQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666
--

------
OSHA, and law enforcement, use decibels as an objective standard for noise

Below read about Lewiston Idaho city code referencing decibel levels:

http://www.cityoflewiston.org/police/City%20Codes%20(FAQ's).htm

*How loud can a car stereo be played?*

*Sec. 24-40. Maximum permissible environmental noise and sound levels.*

   1.

   No person shall cause or permit noise or sound(s) to intrude into the
   property of another person, which noise or sound(s) exceeds the maximum
   permissible noise levels set forth below in this section.
   2.

   The sound limitations established herein are as set forth in the
   following table after any applicable adjustments provided for herein are
   applied, which, when said sound limitations are exceeded, shall constitute
   excessive and unnecessary sound(s) and shall be violations in their own
   right, as well as being prima facie evidence of noise.
   3.

   No sound shall exceed any of the below-established zone limits by
   fifteen (15) dbA at any point in time.
   4.

   The sound shall not exceed any of the below-established zone limits by
   ten (10) dbA for a cumulative total of one (1) minute or more out of any
   ten-minute period.
   5.

   The sound shall not exceed any of the below-established zone limits by
   three (3) dbA continually for a period of five (5) minutes, or for a
   cumulative total of five (5) minutes or more out of any ten-minute period.
   6.

   Noise buffering measures shall be provided to mitigate the impacts of
   noise on receiving land uses. Decibel meter readings entering the land uses
   listed shall not exceed the listed maximum decibel levels except as allowed
   in this code:

*Maximum Decibel        Land Use Category Levels*
Residential – Multiple-family, dormitories, etc. 60
Transient lodging 65
School classrooms, libraries, churches 62
Hospitals, nursing homes 55
Auditoriums, concert halls, music shells 60
Sports arenas, outdoor spectator sports 70
Playgrounds, neighborhood parks 65
Golf courses, riding stables, water recreation, cemeteries 65
Office buildings – Personal, business and professional 70
Commercial – Retail, movie theaters, restaurants 70
Commercial – Wholesale, some retails, industry, manufacturing, utilities 75
Manufacturing, communication (noise-sensitive) 62
Livestock farming, animal breeding 70
Agriculture (except livestock), mining, fishing 80
Public rights-of-way 80
Extensive natural recreation areas 75

*Land Use Category*

Maximum Decibel  Levels Permitted from 7 am until 10 pm of the Same Day

Maximum Decibel Levels Permitted from 10 pm until 7 am of the Following Day

Residential –
Single-family, duplex, mobile homes

60

50

 (Ord. No. 3560, § 1, 3-9-81; Ord. No. 3919, § 1, 5-16-88; Ord. No. 3949, §
1, 5-30-89)

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett