[Vision2020] UI Friday Letter for Friday (November 16, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Nov 16 05:38:10 PST 2007

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
SPECIAL EDITION
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends

November 16, 2007

Dear Friends,

The Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival has brought wonderful
recognition to the University of Idaho over its 40-year history, but nothing
compares to the honor the festival received yesterday. The festival's
artistic director John Clayton, former festival executive director Lynn
"Doc" Skinner and I were honored, excited and humbled to be in the East Room
of the White House to receive the National Medal of Arts from President
George W. Bush.

The National Medal of Arts is the nation's most prestigious arts award, and
we are the first public university to receive the award since Congress
created it in 1984. Congress authorized the president to award medals each
year "to individuals or groups who, in the president's judgment, are
deserving of special recognition by reason of their outstanding
contributions to the excellence, growth, support and availability of the
arts in the United States."

We are gratified and excited that this honor will shine a bright spotlight
on the University of Idaho, the festival, Moscow and all of Idaho.

I was reminded that Lionel Hampton was a frequent guest of and performer for
presidents at the White House, and we all felt he was there with us to
receive the award. This recognition for the festival is the result of the
dedication and love of jazz that he and Doc Skinner brought to the jazz
festival, and that is now continuing under John Clayton's direction. We'll
celebrate this award and Lionel's legacy, along with what would have been
his 100th birthday, at the 2008 festival in February.

As President Bush said yesterday: "...on behalf of a grateful nation, we
honor your great talent and accomplishments... Our honorees represent the
great strength and diversity of the American culture... I congratulate our
honorees, because in your work we see the creativity of the American spirit
and the values that have made our nation great."

Let me share with you some of the wonderful congratulatory messages and
comments we've received.

Governor C. L. "Butch" Otter said, "The priceless legacy of music and
learning embodied in the Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival is a
treasure not just for the University of Idaho, but for our entire state and
indeed all lovers of the arts, everywhere. Recognition and acclaim that come
with the National Medal of the Arts is well earned, greatly deserved and a
reason for all Idahoans to celebrate."

>From State Board of Education member Sue Thilo: "Absolutely fantastic! It's
gratifying to see the Jazz Festival receive the national recognition it
truly deserves. Congratulations to the University of Idaho and especially to
those directly involved with the Lionel Hampton International Jazz
Festival."

Michael Faison, executive director of the Idaho Commission on the Arts said,
"This is wonderful. It brings the national spotlight to Idaho. For an arts
organization or institution to receive the award is rare, and the University
of Idaho and the Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival have joined some
very rarified company."

The Lionel Hampton International Jazz Festival is such a remarkable event;
it brings a multitude of people from around the state, nation and world
together on our campus to celebrate jazz. It is successful because of the
support and contributions from so many of you, and now you can share in the
pride and recognition that the National Medal of Arts brings.

You can view video of the White House award ceremony at: www.uidaho.edu/jazz

Tim White
President

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3