[Vision2020] Noise Ordinance Admin Meeting

KRFP krfp at radiofreemoscow.org
Thu Nov 15 14:43:44 PST 2007

This actually could be a concern.  Unless things have changed
drastically in the years since I used one, Decibel meters are actually
quite hard to get an accurate reading with.  A person (or an officer)
with experience with the device could make it read almost anything (s)he
wants.

A decibel is NOT an absolute value, it is a CHANGE in value.  To say
"that noise is 90dB" is an incorrect statement.  You can say "that noise
is 90 dB above <insert some other sound pressure level here>", but it
needs a base reference.  Which is only one place where inaccuracies in a
reading can come from.

For the record; I calibrated and repaired electronic test equipment in
the Navy.  And also often measured the sound pressure of car stereos at
Optimum Sound over in Pullman, where I was the Service Manager.

Dave