[Vision2020] UI-BSU Rivals Rivalry Game

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Nov 15 06:32:34 PST 2007

The game will be on KSKN in Spokane, starting at 11 a.m. PST.

>From today's (November 15, 2007) Spokesman Review -

UI-BSU rivals rivalry game
Dave Trimmer
Staff writer
November 15, 2007

Most of the talk about the Idaho Vandals-Boise State Broncos football game
on Rivalry Weekend is about whether this really is a rivalry.

"It's very important to me," Vandals coach Robb Akey said. "The rival games
are one of the great things about college. It adds a lot of life to this
time of season. But it hasn't been a rivalry. It's been a Boise tradition.
My job as head football coach is making this deal a rivalry again."

Although three of the last four games have been competitive, that's what
happens when one team wins eight straight, as Boise State has, right after
the other team reeled off 13 straight, as the Vandals did.

"If it's going to be a tradition, I like that one better," Akey said.

His Broncos counterpart, Chris Petersen, said another reason the game hasn't
felt exactly like a rivalry is because it has been played up and down the
schedule the last six years, including opening week.

"In the Pac-10 they play all those games . at the end of the year," he said.
"Keeping it consistent in terms of where they put it (would help). I don't
have a preference. It's just always a good game to play."

Both know what really makes it a rivalry is the fans.

"I've had things said since I got this job," Akey said. "I'm very into this
rivalry. The outside world has a lot to do it. It adds a great deal of
excitement."

"I don't think it means more on the street than it does to us, (but) I know
it means a lot to a lot of people, that's what makes this game a lot of
fun," Petersen said. . "I think this week the lines are drawn pretty clear."

He is quick to dash any hope Vandals fans have about the Broncos overlooking
Idaho with BSU traveling to Hawaii next week to play for the WAC
championship, thanks to the rivalry.

"There's always some game down the road people around here want to talk
about, but, fortunately for us, everybody wants to talk about the Idaho
game. Our kids will be very focused," he said. "That's always our message,
no matter who we play. The fact it's our in-state rival, that helps us as
well. When you play your rival there's always going to be a little more
emotion."

Akey insisted the Vandals (1-9, 0-7 WAC) don't consider the Broncos (9-1,
6-0) their bowl game.

"We're not bowl eligible - this is a rival game," he said. "It's not an
honor, it's one of our conference games. It's not a reward. But we're going
to have a good time with it."

So far, he's the only one making it fun.

During the bye week, when he was visiting Vandals boosters in southern
Idaho, he contributed to the fun, calling the Broncos donkeys.

"There was nothing mean-spirited intended by that - I've got all the respect
in the world for them," Akey said, acknowledging he had been "blown up" on
Boise sports talk radio. "I think what I said was . our next game happens to
be on the blue turf against the donkeys, and that would be a good thing to
win.

"They don't care what I have to say. Their players don't care what I have to
say. Chris Petersen doesn't care what I have to say. I haven't really said
anything. The fans are going to say it. It's one of things that make rival
games fun. You play to win, play to have fun. Everybody needs to enjoy that,
lighten up a little bit."

Although he admitted Tuesday he had more one-liners he could use, the former
Washington State coach added, "The (Washington) Huskies used to pop off
more.; I haven't heard that yet. But it's early in the week."

Quick kicks

The game will be on KSKN in Spokane, starting at 11 a.m. PST. . Boise's 52-0
win at Utah State last week was their first shutout on the road in 31 years.
Broncos quarterback Taylor Tharp hit 26 of 29 passes. . The Broncos have
blocked nine kicks this season. The blocked punt at USU was the first
against the Aggies in Brent Guy's three years as coach. . Hawaii QB Colt
Brennan is probable for Friday's 8 p.m. ESPN2 game at Reno after he suffered
a mild concussion against Fresno State. . Hawaii is 9-0 for the first time
since 1925. Brennan tied BYU's Ty Detmer for most career TD passes (121) and
TDs responsible for (135) and had his 15th straight 300-yard passing game. .
Hawaii receiver Jason Rivers tied the conference record with a catch in his
46th straight game. . New Mexico State's Chase Holbrook has the school
record in passing yards and Brandon Allen has the record with receptions in
42 straight games. . San Jose's Kevin Jurovich had 10 catches for 233 yards
against New Mexico State when Spartans QB Adam Tafralis broke Jeff Garcia's
school record for total offense, 7,363 yards. . Nevada's Brett Jaekle has
made a field goal in 10 straight games.

G O   V A N D A L S ! ! !

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3