[Vision2020] school levy

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Nov 13 14:05:02 PST 2007

I am sure you recall the legislative special session last year.  The majority of legislators voted to remove the permissive property tax that has traditionally gone to support schools.  (This is .3% of property value that supported schools without requiring a vote of patrons.)
To compensate for these funds, the sales tax was raised form 5% to 6%.  That money flows from the state to the school districts.  It was a trade-off, not an increase.

Thus, the ads attributed to moscowlevy.com are misleading.  It is late in the day to discuss all issues raised, but I think such last-minute ads with misleading information are inexcusable.

Who is moscowlevy.com?  Did the radio station break any rules by failing to identify the individual who paid for the ads?  It turns out that these are "issue ads", rather than political ads.  They are therefore subject to different rules for publicly identifying the sponsor of the ads.  I submit that not only would honesty compel a person to identify himself/herself, it would also be ridiculous to put much stock into information coming from something like "moscowlevy.com" without checking into the source.

If anybody would like to check this out, you can get information in black and white verifying that indeed Dale Courtney paid for the ads coming from KRPL and associated stations.

Shirley Ringo