[Vision2020] Who is

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 12:27:38 PST 2007

All-

This discussion of business boycotts should have the maximum free
market/individual choice limited government advocates leaping to defend the
informed choice of consumers, the free flow of information, and free speech
rights.  Anyone following recent history will recall the local boycott
advocated by certain moral guardians against businesses selling certain sexy
magazines.  If I recall correctly, the boycott was somewhat successful in
forcing the businesses to either pull from the racks, or otherwise make less
visible, the "offending" magazines.

If a person or group thinks the products certain businesses are selling, or
the profits generated by a business, are doing social harm, they are within
their rights, as far as I know, to make public information about what
businesses are associated with the "social harm."  People can make their own
choices in the matter.  There may be civil legal actions that can be taken
against a person or a group who damages a business by pursuing a boycott,
depending.

To construct an extreme example, If KKK associated individuals were running
businesses locally, using the profits to fund KKK activities, many would
welcome a list of these businesses, to inform them of what their patronage
was supporting, even if the KKK activities are protected by the US
Constitution.

Those suggesting business boycotts should consider that if their is
widespread skepticism of the boycott, public sympathy with the business or
businesses might increase their business.  The boycott of the Beatles after
John Lennon made his comment about the Beatles being more popular than Jesus
Christ was just more publicity for the Beatles, though Beatles albums were
being burned in bonfires by those outraged by Lennon's comment.

Ted Moffett