[Vision2020] What it is and what it isn't

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Nov 13 06:44:48 PST 2007

Good morning, Visionaires --

I don't think I've ever started a Vision 2020 post with a Bible verse, but I'd like to establish some context . . .

"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves.  Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others."  Philippians 2:3,4

Here's some more context:  I don't always get it right.  It matters to me, though, so I try.

In looking back over the last couple of weeks, I've been writing a lot about the city council election, the levy vote, the war, and the Gospel.  In fact, I've been prolific and preachy . . . I'm pretty sure I can get an "Amen!" on that one, and I accept it whether offered in good cheer or not.  But I don't feel much cheer these days.  I see my town being torn apart by lies, greed, arrogance and a selfishness that's breathtaking in scope and heartbreaking in effect.  I see public schools, the best idea ever instituted by fallible government, attacked with callous disregard for both facts, integrity, and flesh-and-blood schoolchildren.  I see individual acts of bigotry and hate applauded by entire congregations overflowing with malice and disregard for those outside of their own community, and I know decent people in those congregations who are swept up in the overflow, unable to escape.  Worst for me, though, is what is being presented to my neighbors in the name of Jesus Christ, who I love and serve with my whole heart.

You're being told that Christ is a bully and that his teachings have as their goal and inevitable outcome the seizing of power.  You're smacked in the face and bloodied  by a gospel that's no good news at all, a message of division and superiority that bears no relation  to the Gospel of reconciliation and humility.  You're bludgeoned with the sharpest and ugliest parts of the Bible and denied the healing balm found in its message of Jesus.   And you're asked to overlook rank sin in a church that runs roughshod over hearts, souls, and city blocks, while the same church hurls curses and invective and malicious harassment toward those who, perplexed, disgusted, or simply not interested, haven't seen fit to join them.  You're being lied to.  We're all being lied to.

Today is the levy election.  I hope you all vote, and I hope you all vote yes.  I could tell you why you should, and I have; I can tell you why last week's election wasn't too good for Moscow, and I have.  I've said in Spirit-led anger, when needed, the hard and tough things  to those who claim the name of Christ, and I've tried never to dip from that well in talking with those who don't.  Most of all, I've tried to follow the example of Scripture in confronting error and evil, and I hope God takes me before I ever stop.  There is evil in our community.  Those who vote "no" on the levy aren't evil; those who urge them to do so because the needs of other people's children are insignificant and worthy of being mocked, are.  And because those people say they care about the testimony of Scripture, I'll close in a way I've never closed a Vision 2020 post before:

"The one who sows to please the sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.  So let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.  Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people . . . "  Galatians 6:8-9

Let's keep talking about what "doing good to all people" would look like in Moscow, and then let's not ever get tired of doing good.

To all people.

    Send
keely