[Vision2020] The Failure of Abstinence-Only Sex Education

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Mon Nov 12 23:22:41 PST 2007

Being so keenly interested in protecting our First
Amendment rights, and someone who believes sex ed is
healthy,  I can't resist answering Chris's question:

"How can we in good conscience tax the entire populace
to promote a
distinctly Christian view of sexual morality in the
government-funded
schools?"

The First Amendment is pretty clear on that, for it's
the very first line:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment
of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

In other words, everybody is entitled to their
religion, but there should be no laws that promote or
prohibit any religion.

I would say teaching our children sexual biology in a
responsible way is good for our society.  That doesn't
prohibit any religion.  No body is being made to do
anything against their religion.  Using religion as an
excuse to not teach sex ed, or anything, in a
government sponsored school is illegal and should be
discouraged.

Using public schools to promote a religion could be
construed as respecting an establishment of religion,
and would be illegal.

Schools should not be mandated based on any religion.

Chris also says:

"I certainly don't want to force people who strongly
disagree with my Christian beliefs to finance the
"Christian" education of the entire school-age
populace, any more than I want Christians to be forced
to pay for the indoctrination of of the entire
school-aged population in terms of some anti-Christian
dogma. In this way, we can see
that public funding of education is not a social good
at all. Rather, it is
inimical to the spirit and letter of the Constitution,
and should be
stopped. Education should be under the authority of
the Family, not under the authority of the State."

Just because public schools teach something contrary
to your religion does not mean it is anti your
religion.

To remind our audience, religious leaders have been
opposed to many heretical teachings throughout
history, including the fact that Earth was not flat
and that it rotated around the sun.

Their opposition to science still continues with their
push for "intelligent design."

I think a more moral target of your argument against
using tax dollars for "anti-religious" issues would be
to stop the tax dollars given to the
military-industrial complex.  After all, "thou shalt
not murder" is a 10 Commandment.  Considering all the
blood gushing from this murderous money, that seems
way worse than insuring our greatest asset, our
children, receive a well rounded education.

Sincerely,

Garrett Clevenger