[Vision2020] illegal levy ads

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 15:31:58 PST 2007

Did someone or group break the law in doing these "political" ads against the levy?  While I support your and everyone's right to "free speech", this speech was paid for and is subject to reporting laws.  I think the Weitz ad in the paper is fine, he paid for it and the ad says so.  The ads purchased by individuals in favor of the levy or ok also because they say who purchased them.  I don't think an ad paid for by a deceased person, which is in effect what you are saying when you say "paid for by moscowlevy.com" (a website created by and paid for by Jack Wenders -deceased for a year now).  I'm pretty sure the radio ads cost more than $100. These types of laws were created in part to deter this kind of abuse -so why should I trust anything the website says if they can't even come out and tell me who they are? Are they ashamed? Fear persecution?  I just don't get it.  I don't care who you are.  It would help me rationalize any validity I might give the source though. As it
 is, the anonymity causes me to pause at the validity.

What is an         Independent Expenditure?
         "Independent expenditure"         means any expenditure by a person for a communication expressly
         advocating the election, passage or defeat of a clearly identified         candidate or measure that is not
         made with the cooperation or with the prior consent of, or in         consultation with, or at the consent of, or
         in consultation with, or at the request of a suggestion of, a candidate         or any agent or authorized
         committee of the candidate or political committee supporting or opposing         a measure. As used in this
         subsection, "expressly advocating" means any communication         containing a message advocating
         election, passage or defeat including, but not limited to, the name of         the candidate or measure, or
         expression such as "vote for," "elect,"         "support," "cast your ballot for," "vote         against," "defeat" or "reject".
         (Section 67-6602(g), I.C.)
                  Form
         C-4
         Statement of Independent Expenditures
         Who Files It
         Each person not filing campaign disclosure reports with the         Secretary of State who makes independent expenditures in an aggregate         amount exceeding $100 in support of or in opposition to any 1 candidate,         political committee or measure, shall file a statement of the         expenditure with the secretary of state.
         What It Contains
         The name and address of any person to whom an expenditure in excess         of $50 has been made by any such person in support of or in opposition         to any such candidate or issue during the reporting period, together         with the amount, date and purpose of each such expenditure; and (b) the         total sum of all expenditures made in support of or in opposition to any         such candidate or measure.
         When It's Due
         Not less than 7 days prior to the primary and general election and         30 days after the primary and general election.

Tom & Liz Ivie