[Vision2020] School Levy Unfair to Poorer Students

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sun Nov 11 21:03:29 PST 2007

The thing is, Debi, I'm afraid Donovan has stumbled across the most phenomenally amazing secret in the MSD locker.

Yes, it's true.  All of the students at Moscow High School (as well as the junior high and the four elementaries, which he didn't include in his argument) are doing, and will do, spectacularly well in life.  Born -- every single one of 'em -- into the nurturing wombs of loving families with abundant finances and generous exposure to art and culture, Moscow kids are so utterly privileged that only a small -- nay, insignificant -- fraction are ensconced in the last-ditch environs of the alt school.  To a one, every single other student is well-adjusted, ambitious, infinitely able to choose from the best of life's offerings, and irretrievably on a path gilded with nothing but ease and success.  Not a one of 'em, bless their little hearts, needs a thing from any one of us.  And thank God!  This bleeding-heart hooey about schoolchildren and schools dealing with the effects of drugs, broken homes, poverty, domestic violence and emotional famine, not to mention the draconian implementation of NCLB, legislative disregard for education, and unstable school financing, is just a smokescreen for the unbridled greed of those who choose to begin their professional careers in a field that pays, at the beginning, less than $30,000 a year.  I mean, they're in it for the money, obviously -- it's not like the public schools benefit any of us in any way, and it's not like there are any other, more lucrative, careers.

Sigh.

Look.  I've tried reason, rational thinking, and facts.  I don't like to use sarcasm against people.  But to suggest that the only troubled kids in MSD are at the alt school, and that the funding allocations are evidence for a conspiracy against non-college bound students, is absurd.  And, frankly, as close-minded as it is hard-hearted.  Every student, period, without exception, deserves the very best the schools and community can offer.   I have a college degree.  I have a son in college.  My husband did not go to college, not a single day.  And yet it's his success in business, not to mention his intrinsic smarts, that allows me (by the grace of God) to spend hours a day not working, but writing things like this.  Denying necessary funding to the schools is not the way to advocate for one child, much less a category of student -- as if students could be neatly pegged into categories anyway.

This involves people.  Real children.  And the passage of this levy is necessary.  I'll be writing more on "God's will" in regard to levy votes as a counter to Wilson's claiming divine affirmation, if not reward, in the result of last week's and this week's elections.  For now, suffice to say that while school levies are an imperfect method of providing for "least among you" between 5 and 21, it's the best way we have now, and I believe that Moscow is the kind of place that will vote again for its own children.

keely