[Vision2020] Why I'm going to vote Yes on the Levy

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Nov 10 18:23:09 PST 2007

Donovan, the district can't "promise $1.5 million" of any amount to non college-bound students.  First of all, the enormity and complexity of NCLB and state regulations means that all enrolled kids have to be taught certain specific curricula.  Second, and most important here, schools are not in the business of deciding who is and who isn't a college-bound student.  To their credit, they teach the very best to the very most; anything else, such as tailoring curricula to the presumptive experiences in or out of college upon graduation, harkens back to the nauseating days of the 60s and 70s, when "tracking" was a common practice.  Minority kids, poor kids, kids who struggled academically -- the school decided they were on the "shop track" and funneled them to what we now call voc-tech classes.  Kids like you, kids like me -- we were "tracked" as college-bound, primarily because we were Anglo, didn't struggle enormously in school, and had parents who could and would agitate for "better," more academically-oriented classes.  Woe be it to the Mexican American student in Tucson in the mid-70s who wanted the college track and who aspired to be a physician or lawyer or engineer; the clear message, with a wide-eyed appeal to "the best for the student," was tracking based on demographics that denied individual promise.  It stunk then.  Thank God one of the very few benefits of NCLB is that it would illegally stink now.

keely