[Vision2020] Pullman vs Moscow

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Nov 10 16:47:05 PST 2007

After reading numerous posts regarding the upcoming school levy vote
and noting that many have questioned the validity of a comparison
between Moscow and Pullman school districts, I have compiled some
data that may facilitate that dialogue.  I recall one or more posters
saying that comparing the two school districts is like comparing
apples and oranges.

That may be closer to reality than one thinks.  I am surprised that
our resident botanists, nutritionists and/or arborists have not
weighed in on this.  They (the apples and oranges, not the botanists)
are both fruit, they are both healthy foods, they both offer
significant nutritional value, they are both round, they both grow on
trees and some of them are even the same color. ;-))

In all seriousness, I have compiled some stats on both Moscow and
Pullman (from the respective state sites) and here it is.  I think
even the most entrenched in their positions will agree that there is
a great deal in common between the two districts.  All the data is
for the fiscal year 2005-06.  I had hoped to use FY 07 data, but the
Moscow district has not released their audited financial statements
for FY 07 (they were due on or about October 1st, 2007).

				Moscow		Pullman

FTE Enrollment		2434			2179
Total expenditures		$20,618,739		$17,438,662
Total expenditures per pupil	8,471.13		8,001.48
Total revenues			$19,885,608		$17,321,528
Total revenues per pupil	8,169.93		7,947.73
Local tax per pupil		3,795.27		1,553.02
Local, non-tax per pupil	   424.69		   293.30
State per pupil			3,426.72		5,583.80
Federal per pupil		   523.24		   512.74
Ending fund balance		$1,700,000 (est)		$1,212,215

Please study the data, if you find an error, it will be in my typing
and I will take full responsibility - and make a correction.  Now
also note that the data for Moscow is before the M&O tax was removed
from the table and replaced by the 1% sales tax allocation. It would
be appropriate to ask how much MSD received from the sales tax
allocation - unfortunately that data is contained in the annual
audited financial statement, which has not yet been released by
MSD.  I will peruse around the state site to see if I can discover
that information.

A quick read of the performance stats suggests both districts do a
good job.  I have personal experience with both districts as my
daughter did K-10 in Moscow and 11 & 12 in Pullman.

Hope this helps some of you better understand the financial elements
of the respective districts.  Yes, it does raise lots of questions.