[Vision2020] New NO info...

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:32:27 PST 2007

Garrett,

I favor a fixed standard so that what constitutes excessive noise will not
be left to the officers' discretion.  If we do the latter, application of
the law will vary wildly.  I don't have a suggestion as to what the limit
should be, at least not now.  As I said before, Lewiston does use this
approach.

I listened to part of the last city council meeting this morning on KRFP,
and I was shocked to hear a council member, who may have been Linda Pall,
say she did not want to restrict the officers . She said she trusted them,
and did not want the law to restrict them based on the conduct of the worst
officers.  She said the actions of those officers could be handled
administratively.

I could not disagree more.  The Bill of Rights in our constitution does not
say that we will trust the agents of the state and give them the discretion
to restrict our freedoms.  No, it defends our freedoms first.  It says the
state shall have to prove it has a valid reason to meddle in our affairs.
It doesn't simply hand over our freedoms to the state.  And I hope it was
not Linda who made that statement; if it was, I hope she will reconsider.

Because she knows that when state agents act improperly, the first thing the
state agency does is to try to limit its own liability.  It's no different
than when a driver gets in a wreck and is sued; the insurance company tries
to limit its exposure.  So to simply hand over unfettered power to the
police, and expect to adminstratively handle its subsequent abuse is folly.

I find it interesting that the council is ready to subject all of us to an
ordinance because of the activities of just a few people, and yet unwilling
to circumscribe state power.

Sunil