[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: 1 in 4 Homeless is a Veteran

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 8 19:14:32 PST 2007

I appreciate all that the various charities do for all of us, and
strongly encourage those who can to give to them regularly.  I do so myself.

However, I reserve the right to choose when, where, and to whom I give
my money.  If I walk by someone ringing a bell or asking for a donation,
I don't feel compelled to comply.  I don't feel that I should be treated
as an outcast for this, nor do I feel that berating others for not
giving every time to every single charity is a good idea.

Besides, giving money to charities is really treating the symptoms, and
not the causes.  As you stated, the disregard by the Bush Administration
and Congress is behind this particular issue.  Not to mention past
administrations as well (even if I want to, I can't lay every problem in
the world directly and W's feet).

I try to give to organizations that are working to change the political
problems, when I find them.  I also tend to give to charities that are
putting money into trying to cure a medical condition.  But that's just
my particular choice.

I understand feeling upset when someone ignores a person taking
donations and you care greatly about that specific cause, but trying to
guilt them into giving is just not the answer for a multitude of
reasons.  Be thankful for what people do give.

Paul