[Vision2020] Media Players - Was:Re: The Auntie Establishmentand Brother Carl Show (November 3, 2007)

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 19:04:55 PST 2007

I would also like to rant a bit about DRM (Digital Rights Management).
The RIAA and the MPAA have been scrambling to justify their existence in
this new world of easy distribution and mass storage.  One of their
brainwaves is "digital rights management".  If they had their way, every
player (whether it be hardware or software), would play nothing but
DRM'd files.  What's wrong with that, you ask?  A few things:

1 - You bought it, you should own it.  You should be able to copy your
music to any device you own, and to play it on any device you own.  I
don't know about you, but I've rebought music or videos more than I care
to say.  Cassette to CD, CD to online, replacement cassettes or CDs, VHS
to DVD, special edition DVD's, you name it.

2 - It's very likely illegal to watch a DVD you legally own on a linux
PC.  To do so, you have to use a hack to decrypt it, and are probably in
violation of the DMCA.

3 - Some DRM won't let you make copies of media you legally own, even
though your fair use rights allow you to make backups in case the CD or
DVD gets scratched.

4 - Legal downloads you own that use a free license or are public domain
can't be played on some DRM'd devices.

I'm sure there are others, but you get the point.  DRM is Corporate
America's weapon to enslave me so I can "consume" more.  Screw them.
Use formats that are DRM-free, or completely open, or both.  Such as ogg
vorbis, ogg theora, mp3, and mpeg.

One of the many reasons I stay away from Microsoft: if they had their
way, you could only play DRM'd music or video files and they would have
it locked down from your desktop to your speakers.  That's what "trusted
computing" is all about.  They have been caught sending stealth upgrades
for DRM that install whether or not you want them to.  When you, oh
intrepid reader, finally get tired of all that crap, give me a call.
I'll burn you an Ubuntu Live CD, and you can try an alternative OS that
is getting to be downright spectacular, without any risk of harming your
current installation.  If you find you like it, you can install it also
without harming your current OS.

I, too, like VLC.  I use it on my linux computer, although I tend to use
Xine more.  I would be hesitant to lump WinAmp in with Media Player or
Real.  How can you not like a company that advertises with such taglines
as "Winamp - it really whips the llama's ass" or "Winamp - the new
features will make you giggle like a schoolgirl".  I haven't used them
for years.  Hopefully, they haven't gone all corporate on me.

Paul