[Vision2020] Spam from the Future

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:10:44 PST 2007

All-

My Hotmail e-mail address has beenexposed longer for more Internet use than
any of my e-mail accounts, yet the spam is limited.  Microsoft may be evil,
but Hotmail appears to have good spam filters.  AOL e-mail also has limited
spam, as far as I have experienced, as does Google's Gmail, but Yahoo's
e-mail has had far and away the most spam.  I let the spam filter and
automatic deletion of the spam folder handle it.  A few spam e-mails slip
into the inbox, but it's no big deal.  However, Paul's data about the costs
of spam to Internet business or in the work place implies these costs are
passed on to consumers.  Paul mentions the Russian mafia complying with the
"Can Spam Act."  KGB Inc?

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4203

*"Kasparov makes a compelling case for the Bush Administration's hypocrisy
in the world, and that Putin has the puppet Bush dancing to his tune. A
dance meant to keep the world in turmoil so that KGB Inc. can benefit from
high oil prices." *
--------------

But comparing with USPS snail junk mail, which may be paid for by the
sender, who may be easier to identify, than with junk e-mail, deception and
fraud is still a problem, for the gullible.  Also, wasted resources, time
and energy.  Look at the trash cans at the post office (I wonder how much
money the post office makes off junk mail after subtracting the costs of
disposal?), the at home trash from junk mail, or even if recycling, the
time, effort, and energy to process.  There are disposal impacts/costs that
the senders of junk mail do not pay for.  How many lbs. of trash junk mail
does Latah Sanitation process?

You can't ignore snail junk mail, like e-mail spam folders, which are
automatically deleted... The snail junk mail piles up demanding attention...

One pet peeve is opening my PO Box, having to sort the "real" mail from the
junk mail, which I must then either throw away or recycle, wasting time,
resources or energy.

There is a partial solution via registering on a "Do Not Mail List," but I
wonder, if you register, will this increase or decrease your snail junk
mail?

*The DirectMail.com National Do Not Mail List *

https://www.directmail.com/directory/mail_preference/

Ted Moffett