[Vision2020] Dispel the anti-growth myth

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 20:39:03 PDT 2007

Donovan,

I think it all depends on why he changed his mind. I wouldn't want a
candidate that changed their views every time they wanted to impress
someone or every time the wind changed direction, and I wouldn't want a
candidate who can't ever understand the impacts well enough not to have
to contradict themselves every so often when they learn some new fact.

However, people are human. If you hold a view based on a certain level
of research and with certain values in mind, what do you do when you
learn more about it and come across something that you hadn't considered
before that changes your view on it? I think it takes a certain amount
of courage to admit that your earlier stance was wrong, and that you
have changed your mind based on the following reasons, blah, blah, blah.

The flip side of that is: I wouldn't want to elect a candidate that
stuck to their earlier beliefs even when they know they are wrong simply
because they don't want to look like a candidate that "waffles". Damn,
now I'm hungry.

I would lay some of our current woes as a country at the feet of a
President that refuses to rethink his position. Of course, that's just
my opinion.

Paul