[Vision2020] Prolific Spammer gets Death Penalty

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Thu May 31 22:35:18 PDT 2007

It's basically a white collar crime, so I would hope for a high monetary
penalty and a small amount of jail time (relatively speaking).  Spammers
are antisocial creatures, but they aren't violent and dangerous ones.
The monetary penalty, though, should be huge.  Their selfish actions
have had far-reaching effects.  Time out of everyone's day to search
through junk emails to find the ones they want.  ISPs having to upgrade
servers and their network infrastructures to accomodate the emails.  PCs
hijacked and made into members of a botnet.  Not to mention the poor
saps that pay for the penis enlarging pills and send money to that guy
in Nigeria.

These guys send out millions or billions of pieces of spam.  They should
have to pay large sums of money, large enough to make their being caught
ruin their lives financially.

However, I'd like to see the companies that purchase these services
fined as well.  The spammers wouldn't be doing it if they weren't being
paid handsomely for it.  I know that goes against the current idea that
companies have some kind of right to squeeze every penny they can out of
everyone they can, ethics be damned, but I'd sure like to see them held
accountable for this as well.  That and annoying ads that cover the text
you're trying to read.  I'd also like to see Microsoft nailed for making
their systems so easy to hack into and be taken control of.  However
they have really good lawyers on staff.  You basically sign away the
right to even sneer in their general direction when you accept one of
their End User License Agreements.

I would like to see a punishment that would fit the crime, though, if
only for the entertainment value.

Paul