[Vision2020] world's largest embassy

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 20:28:05 PDT 2007

I just heard on NPR that the world's largest embassy is being built by
the US in Iraq.

Here are a couple of news stories about this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070519/worlds-largest-embassy
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2006-04-19-us-embassy_x.htm

I realize this information is more than a year old, but I hadn't heard
of it before.  Should we be spending this kind of money on an
ultra-secure embassy?  Shouldn't we be spending it on basic
infrastructure for the reconstruction efforts?  Wouldn't it be better to
have basic plumbing and sewage working in the city before building this
behemoth?  Various numbers I've seen are in the $500 million to $600
million range.

Thoughts?

Paul