[Vision2020] Domestic violence

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue May 22 14:08:10 PDT 2007

Ellen, Keely, et al,

Here is one part of many in dealing with domestic violence:

Often the abuser in a domestic violence is the person who provides the family income.  If the abuser is sent to jail, then the family suffers the lost income during the provider's incarceration.  If the abuser is only fined, that too takes much needed family income.  Sometimes going to jail leads to the provider's/abuser's losing their job which has two effects: (1) long-term loss of family income and (2) increased resentment and hostility, which increases the probability of further violence.

The abused, even if they have the will, find it difficult to leave a relationship where they are economically dependent upon the abuser.  The more children in the family, the more difficult for the abused to leave this kind of situation.

I think that there are possible solutions, but it is a hard very difficult problem to solve.  Perhaps Andreas can outline the strategies the organization he works for uses to deal with this aspect of the problem.

W.