[Vision2020] Otter cutting help for families ... AMID BUDGETSURPLUS

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 14:17:07 PDT 2007

Mark,

  You know as well as I do that while the entire legislature must vote on an bill for it to pass, you must also know that the Governor can kill any bill and future dreams of a state legislator with the single stroke of his veto pen. No reasonable legislature is going to bury his political career and hopes of getting legislation through to help his district by voting against the pet projects of the Governor and his family unless he has some overwhelming and compelling reason to do so.

  So it isn't hyperbole, it is just the sad disgusting reality of how legislation is made, just like sausage, it isn't something you want to talk about or watch. But, I think you already know this and just like to pretend that all legislation and funding for programs is based on the merit of the program, not the political positions of those who sponsor and champion them.

  The state government has not shrunk, look at the budget, it is getting bigger, not smaller. Losses in health care, education, and assisted living are generally the result of lost revenue, or a decision made by the federal or local governments. Such as the loss of our assisted living and ONLY skilled nursing facility for the indigent was a local decision made by misinformed people. Why do you think Head Start is more important than the care of the indigent elderly that cannot work?

  The surplus is just on paper, there isn't really one because the federal government is cutting its assistance to Idaho by about 22%. That 75 million will be consumed by this deficit and rising costs of current programs. The rest needs to be there in case of emergencies or a slowing down in the economy, which is likely to happen in the near future.

  I do agree with you that the sales tax increase of 15% should be removed, if that is what you are contenting. It is a hurtful action taken against the people of Idaho that clearly hurts the economy and residents of lesser means, disproportionately.

  Best,

Donovan

Mark Solomon <msolomon at moscow.com> wrote:
        Donovan,

  I'm sure you know that it takes a vote of the entire Legislature and the signature of the governor to authorize spending of state revenue on Head Start or any other state program. No one else, not even a governor's wife, has the authority. So why resort to rhetorical hyperbole? You know better than that.

  And why find additional revenue when the current tax program is already generating a surplus? A surplus made possible by continual cutting of state programs over the past decade including state support of physical and mental health programs, assisted living programs, state employee salaries, K-12 and secondary education... the list goes on and on. All while the tax burden that remains shifts more and more to the middle class homeowner away from the large business interests.

  I'd be curious to see from which segment of the economy/population the "surplus" revenue is being generated. Anyone know? Sales? Income? One thing that occurs to me is that when the sales tax was raised to 6% to support the property tax shift away from businesses it was assumed for budgeting purposes that the grocery part of the sales tax equation would be addressed to restore some remote semblance of equity. We all know that didn't happen. Could that be the source of the "surplus"?

  Mark