[Vision2020] Questions about global warming

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 19:44:57 PDT 2007

Ah, thank you.  Two graphs superimposed over each other.  I don't know
why I didn't see that the first time.  I was assuming there was some
kind of implicit conversion between the ppmv numbers and the millions of
metric tons, like having inches and centimeters on the same graph.  The
broken lines between 0 and 260 on the left-side scale should have tipped
me off, but I guess I was brain-dead last night.

So, yes, I will have to "revise my analysis" - which is a nice way of
saying that I need to toss it out completely.

The disparity in the numbers for the second graph still intrigue me,
though.  I'm assuming that there hasn't been a 3 billion ton deficit in
carbon dioxide uptake every year for very long, or we'd be saying that
we have miraculously saved ourselves from a frozen planet.  730 billion
tons would be gone in less than 250 years, and we'd freeze long before
that.  This appears to be a reaction to the raise in CO2 levels that is
just short of half as strong as our ability to pump excess CO2 into the
air.  Why don't we hear about this?  If it were me, and I had control
over the world's climatologists, I'd be forcing them to study the
various natural processes that are pumping CO2 into the air and the ones
that are naturally scrubbing it out.  What is the relative size of each
process?  Will it continue to increase?  How will it change as the earth
warms and the other processes change?  Are these changes linear?  Can we
model them sufficiently to use them to predict future climate change?
What would happen if we simply stopped all burning of fossil fuels?  How
far would CO2 levels drop?

Focusing on this may be more productive than trying to get our
greed-addled politicians to become acquainted with common sense.  I'm
excluding Tom, Shirley, Roger, and whoever else who has been involved
with our government who posts here in this, obviously ;)

Paul