[Vision2020] Entertainment: Book Lists and Notes

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon May 14 00:42:57 PDT 2007

I don't get the paper, but I'm assuming you want us to give our top ten
books, right?  Here are mine, at least those I can come up with on short
notice.  Some people on this list may cringe at these, but I read to be
entertained, to relax, and to escape.  So, here goes:

Ringworld, by Larry Niven
Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, by J.K. Rowling (and the others
in the series)
The Player of Games, by Iain M. Banks (along with most of his books,
with or without the M.)
Fear Nothing, by Dean Koontz
The Black Company, by Glen Cook (and the rest in the series)
Lord Foul's Bane, by Stephen R. Donaldson (usually lose interest by the
fourth or fifth book in the series)
Rain Fall, by Barry Eisler (like them all)
A Fire Upon the Deep, by Vernor Vinge
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrel, by Susannah Clarke
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams (of course, all in
the "trilogy" are worth it)

If there are age limits, you might want to strike the following:
The Player of Games, for some disturbing images here and there
The Black Company, for a few bad scenes and a lot of violence
and Rain Fall, which is a "cool killer" book.

Paul