[Vision2020] Weitz Lawsuit: A Challenge

B. J. Swanson bjswan at moscow.com
Sat May 12 08:33:05 PDT 2007

Dr. Donicht, Dr. Weitz, Visionaries,

I'd like to propose a school project.  The project will be to settle the
Weitz lawsuit within the next 60 days.  The outcome to be:

*	Doing what's right
*	Doing what's best for public education in Moscow
*	Doing what's best for all of Moscow
*	Settle this dispute in the most expeditious and least expensive way
possible

Keeping these points in mind, arrange a face to face meeting (mediation)
between Candice Donicht and Gerald Weitz with some ground rules:

*	No attorneys allowed
*	A neutral facilitator will be present to allow equal time for each
side, enforce respectful behavior and keep both sides focused on the project
*	Both sides agree to listen and park egos and arrogance at the door;
no grandstanding
*	Commit to work toward a solution

>From this meeting, there will probably be clarification needed.  Fighting it
out in court could take years, cost many thousands of dollars and be very
devastating to the school system, children and Moscow as a whole.  Instead,
come up with a list of written points.  Ask the Idaho State Tax Commission
and the Idaho Attorney General to issue an opinion on the points.  Agree to
abide by their findings.

Possible outcomes could be:

*	All of the levies are valid

*	The levies in question were all approved by a majority of voters
*	The levies will stand and no further action needs to be taken

*	The levies were not legal and will be rolled back

*	The school district should immediately propose a legally worded levy
and ask the voters to approve at the next possible school election date

It is very unfortunate that this issue has risen to this level.  It is
embarrassing to Moscow and certainly sends the wrong message to anyone
wanting to live or establish a business in our community.  It hurts to hear
others say Moscow is anti-business.  Now they can say we are anti-education
too.

Moscow is a great place.  In Boise you will hear that if Moscow could
convert brain-power to electricity, there would never be an energy problem
here.  However, brain-power obviously didn't convert to doing the right
thing, being respected leaders and responsible adults with the best interest
of the community in mind.  Bullying, failing to communicate, sticking heads
in the sand when threatened just leads to disaster.  This is not being good
role models for the children you claim to be protecting.

Can we do the right thing, fix this now, learn from our mistakes and move
on?

B. J. Swanson