[Vision2020] Follow-Up: Helicopter Flying Limits

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Fri May 11 22:01:39 PDT 2007

In case anyone was wondering, I did follow up on this with the FAA  :-)

I was first directed to the FAA in Boise -- and they are really great people
. . . very helpful!

It is absolutely not OK for a helicopter to fly 20-50 feet above houses in a
residential area & the Boise FAA was real keen to track down this "bad boy".
Even though I didn't write down the N number (which is important), the
aviation safety guy said it would be no problem for him to track down the
offender in his jurisdiction because I had such a good description and there
are relatively few helicopters flying around there.

Unfortunately, it turns out this area is in the Spokane FAA's jurisdiction.

So, I called them & they took the information -- that guy didn't give me
much information but did confirm that this helicopter was TOO LOW.

Just a FYI in case anyone ever comes across this kind of situation:  TRY TO
GET THE N NUMBER!!!

Once the FAA in DC mentioned that, I was kicking myself because I didn't
even think of jotting it down -- I was too busy trying to close my mouth &
expecting the helicopter to crash . . . and there's no pencil & paper by the
window where I was able to see the helicopter.  Too, I was only able to see
it for a *very* brief amount of time because I have a pretty narrow field of
view from my bedroom window.  And, I just didn't even think about trying to
commit even the first two or three numbers to memory, which I could have
easily done and which would have been helpful for the FAA.

HTH,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****