[Vision2020] Quick Question

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed May 9 14:55:43 PDT 2007

Mr. Schwaller -

I wasn't accusing or suggesting that you were offering excuses.  I was
simply demanding accountability.

The eight-day requirement seems absolutely irresponsible.  I would want ALL
sex offenders registered PRIOR to release.  This way, if for some
bureaucratic red-tape reason the sex offender's registration is delayed, at
least we will know where (s)he is.

Until that discrepency is corrected, we will have to live with this
eight-day "window".  Sitler's eight days (according to my calendar) expires
on Saturday (unless for another irresponsible reason the Registry takes
weekends off).

My reference to "when bars close" was basic sarcasm, intended to draw
attention to the level of supervision being maintained by those in
authority, nothing else.

Concerning your implication that I am restricting my attention to members of
Christ Church, isn't that a bit insignificant when the subject of our
concerns is a Level 3 sex offender.

Just for your general edification, within the not-too-distant past I had
shown equal attention to a local pastor who had been extradited to
California to face child sexual abuse charges.  I would have monitored it as
closely as I do Sitler.  However, that was not necessary as the
Moscow-Pullman Daily News published regular updates, beginning with:

>From the October 5, 2006 edition of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News -

------------------------------------

Moscow pastor arrested on California warrant alleging sexual abuse of a
child

Staff report

Thursday, October 5, 2006 - Page Updated at 12:00:00 AM

Moscow police arrested New Hope Baptist Church Pastor William Alan Malgren
on Wednesday after California authorities issued an arrest warrant that
alleged sexual abuse of a child.

Ventura County, Calif., sheriff's investigators said the alleged abuse
occurred between 1983 and 1989 in California, according to a prepared
statement from the Thousand Oaks Police Department. The alleged victim was a
student at Thousand Oaks Baptist School while Malgren was pastor of Thousand
Oaks Baptist Church.

According to the statement, the alleged abuse began at the school when the
victim was 7 years old and continued until she was 14.

Malgren, 52, is being held in lieu of $1 million bail on two counts of oral
copulation of a child and one count of continuous sexual abuse of a child,
according to the Thousand Oaks Police Department statement.

Malgren resigned as pastor of the Thousand Oaks Baptist Church in 1989 and
has since been involved with churches in Washington, Iowa and Idaho,
according to the statement.

Moscow Assistant Police Chief David Duke said his department received
information from the Ventura County Sheriff's Office that no acts of sexual
abuse have been disclosed by Malgren since he moved to Moscow five years
ago.

Malgren's family declined comment this morning, and phone calls to New Hope
Baptist Church were not answered.

Latah County Prosecuting Attorney Bill Thompson said Malgren waived his
extradition hearing. Duke said Malgren was scheduled to be flown to
California today.

------------------------------------

Now, if the Moscow-Pullman Daily News had shown as much interest in a Level
3 sex offender being released in our own community last Friday as they did
toward a local pastor being extradited to California last October, my
attention would be more focused on warmer, fuzzier topics like school levy
lawsuits.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Uh, how about a 1-strike law. Death doesn't seem too extreme for a Level-3
sex offender."

- Dale "Comb-Over" Courtney (August 3, 2005)

  _____