[Vision2020] Define 'Winning in Iraq'

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue May 8 11:27:52 PDT 2007

It seems that more and more active duty troops are speaking out.

>From the Letters section of the May 14, 2007 edition of the Army Times -

Define 'WINNING IN IRAQ'

Would someone please tell me what "winning the war in Iraq" means?

I have never heard what this means. All I keep hearing from talk shows, Fox
News, radio shows, etc., is "We must win."

I'm a soldier and Desert Storm vet. During the 1990-91 war, we had a goal -
to move Saddam and his troops from Kuwait and prevent them from going into
Saudi Arabia. Our goal was accomplished and we left. I was happy to go
because I felt that this bully was taking over a small country just because
he could.

What is our goal in Iraq? To win? Explain what winning is, please.

Is it to eliminate all of the insurgents? Will not happen.

Is it to kill all of the people who hate America? Will not happen.

Is it to make everybody in Iraq get along with each other? Will not happen.

Is it to just let the world know that we're a powerful country and you can't
make us leave?

Is it to police the rioting?

I speak for a lot of soldiers who cannot speak up. Why? Our military and
"soldier first" mind-set will not allow us to speak up about something that
we're in the middle of.

Sgt. 1st Class Eric Miles
Fort Worth, Texas

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.